Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Have a pet ferret seems very healthy, just lethargic. Is…

Have a pet ferret...

Have a pet ferret seems very healthy, just lethargic. Is eating like normal, drinking like normal, feces is like normal as well. It is a lone ferret now, as a cage mate 3 years ago that didn't affect his disposition at all.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the ferret. What is the ferret's name?

Merlin

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Merlin?

He's on a diet of raw, organic, non-gmo human grade turkey with a cat supplement that I add to his food. He lives very healthily on it.

3/15/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Did I understand correctly that he's recently lost a cage mate?

How old is Merlin?

No changes to diet at all. I'm very strict about healthy diets for my pets. He lost a cage mate 3 years ago. He never showed stress over the loss. He's very alert & gets excited & energetic about feeding time. I was wondering though if he's becoming depressed without a cage mate since he otherwise seems very healthy.

Thank you for the additional information. How old is Merlin?

Sorry forgot to answer that part. He's. 5 or 6.

I do think it would be wise to have him examined and bloodwork performed for good measure. X-rays might also be useful, as well, in determining why he's lethargic. It would be fairly uncommon for a ferret to wait 3+ year to miss having a cage mate, though it certainly can happen. I would determine that he is healthy before considering obtaining a playmate/cagemate for him to help stave off loneliness. Ferrets are social animals and, as you know, love to play. They are, however, prone to conditions which can develop with age such as cardiac afflictions, anemia, adrenal disease, etc. If you need help finding a vet who sees ferrets, let me know. I'll need your city and state.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Okies thank you so much!