Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I suspect my rat has lice. The insects on her are visible…

Customer Question
I suspect my rat has...
I suspect my rat has lice. The insects on her are visible reddish in color. Unfortunately, I also see she is losing weight and doesn't have a normal energy level. I worry about anemia while I'm trying to find an exotic vet with an opening in my area. I've read a few ways to rid her of this lice over the counter, but wanted some additional advice.
What can I do to support her potential anemia?
What can I do to potentially solve this issue on my own... and should I even try while I'm waiting for an appointment?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pet
3/15/2018
Pet Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of the insects you're seeing?

What type of bedding are you using?

In what city and state do you reside?

Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 4 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years.

The Rat needs to be treated by a Vet witha product like ivermectin or selamectin. if store bought products are used.Treating on your own could make the rat more ill or even cause death if srore bought lice producats are used. When your Ret is treated you will , vacuumneed to strip the enclosure and clean well, vacuum around the area and make sure all is clean and ready for him to go back in the enclosure. THis is a link for Rat Vets put Member in the blanks: http://www.rmca.org/Resources/vets.htm/

You can feed some Rat blocks for supportive care as well as get some Critical care at the Pet shop. The most important thing is to get in and have your Vet Treat for the Lice as well as the anemia.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan