Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

1. Kurt and Barb are discussing parasite infestation and…

1. Kurt and...
1. Kurt and Barb are discussing parasite infestation and infection. Kurt says that the parasite that lives on its host infests its host. Barb says that the parasite that lives in its host infects its host. Who's correct?
A. Only Kurt is correct.
B. Neither is correct.
C. Both are correct.
D. Only Barb is correct.2-What type of tapeworm is more of a threat to a dog's owner than to the dog itself?
A. Dipylidium caninum
B. Taenia taeniaeformis
C. Echinococcus granulosus
D. Taenia pisiformis3. You've adopted a stray cat that's infested with lice. Several applications of an insecticide shampoo have limited the infestation for a while, but the lice keep coming back. A veterinarian recommends that you shave the cat and then apply the insecticide. What's the reasoning behind this advice?
A. The larval lice are found on the hair and shaving reduces their numbers.
B. Without hair to feed on, the lice are weakened and thus easily killed by the insecticide.
C. Removing the hair allows the insecticide to come in contact with the lice on the skin.
D. The eggs are found on the hair and shaving removes them.4. Which one of the following parasites can't be prevented from infecting chickens by raising the birds on wire?
A. Trichomonas
B. Capillaria
C. Syngamus
D. Eimeria5-Which one of the following parasites of dogs is never found, at any stage of its life, in the lungs of the dog?
A. Trichuris vulpis
B. Ancylostoma caninum
C. Paragonimus kellicotti
D. Toxocara canis6. Sean and Carol are discussing the life cycle of lice. Sean says that the life cycle of lice is eggs, larva, nymph, and adult. Carol says the life cycle of lice is egg, nymphs, and adult. Who's correct?
A. Neither is correct.
B. Both are correct.
C. Only Sean is correct.
D. Only Carol is correct.7. A ferret shares a house with a dog. Which one of the following parasites is the ferret unlikely to get from the dog?
A. Cryptosporidium
B. Sarcocystis
C. Giardia
D. Isospora canis8. Which one of the following parasites causes an infection?
A. Flies
B. Lice
C. Tapeworms
D. Fleas9. Which one of the following control methods would help prevent cattle from becoming infected with the beef tapeworm?
A. Treat infected cowhands before allowing them to take care of the cattle.
B. Do fecal exams on all the cows and treat all that are found to have proglottids in the feces.
C. Keep all dogs off the pasture.
D. Fence the pasture to keep out deer.10. A friend has a dog with a tapeworm problem. The dog is four years old and has been kept indoors its entire life. However, it shares the house with a cat that's let out each night. The dog has been treated several times with a drug. After each treatment the proglottids stopped appearing in the feces. However, after about two weeks, they begin to reappear. Why can't your friend get rid of the dog's infection?
A. The cat is bringing in the tapeworm eggs from outside and infecting the dog.
B. The drug the owner is using has no effect on tapeworms.
C. The dog has dormant larvae in its tissues that wake up after the drug treatment and move to the intestine and mature to adults.
D. The drug the owner is using has no effect on fleas.11. Which of the following prefers the blood of cattle, deer, and humans?
A. Tapeworms
B. Horsefly
C. Male face fly
D. Melophangus ovinus12. A turtle has an open wound on one of its hind legs. The veterinarian has removed a parasite from under the skin at the edge of the wound. Which group does this parasite most likely belong to?
A. Ticks
B. Lice
C. Mites
D. Flies13. A rancher has received less money than expected for his cattle because the hides had holes in them. The rancher has been told that these holes have been caused by some type of fly. It's currently the middle of winter and the rancher wants to use this time to treat the cattle to prevent the problem in the future. What would a veterinarian advise the rancher to do?
A. Wait until spring to treat the cattle before the larvae put holes in the skin.
B. Have the ranch hands wash the legs of all the young cattle with an insecticide.
C. Treat all the cattle right away to kill the larvae before they get to the skin.
D. Have the ranch hands clean up the cattle feces from the pasture to remove the pupae before they develop to adults in the spring.14. What's meant by a parasite that's host-specific?
A. The parasite will infect only cattle and horses.
B. The parasite will infect any type of host.
C. The parasite will infect only the dog and cat.
D. The parasite will infect only one type of host.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
15. Jose and Walt are discussing types of parasites. Jose says that the parasite that lives on its host is an endoparasite. Walt says that the type of parasite that lives on its host is an ectoparasite. Who's correct?
A. Both are correct.
B. Only Walt is correct.
C. Neither is correct.
D. Only Jose is correct.16. A rancher was having problems with the liver fluke Fasciola hepatica in the cattle on the ranch. The rancher treated the cattle with an insecticide, plowed the pasture in the early spring and again in summer, fenced off the pond in the center of the pasture, and fenced the pasture to keep out deer. The next year there was no problem with Fasciola hepatica in the new calves. Which one of these actions was responsible for the rancher's success in controlling the problem?
A. Treating the cattle with an insecticide
B. Fencing the pasture
C. Plowing the pasture in the spring and summer
D. Fencing the pond17. Which of the following parasites is a single-cell animal?
A. Arachnids
B. Nematodes
C. Tapeworm
D. Protozoans18. A farmer has just moved his swine from an outdoor pig sty into a new barn with concrete floors in an effort to prevent parasite problems. However, the sow's first litter develops diarrhea, and the veterinarian diagnoses a threadworm infection. Why didn't the concrete floor prevent this infection in the piglets?
A. The parasite is passed by direct contact between pigs.
B. The eggs of the threadworm survive even when they're dry.
C. The infective stage of the threadworm is carried by flies.
D. Dormant larvae in the sow's body "woke up" and passed to the piglets through the milk.19. A local zookeeper set up a reptile exhibit containing a number of different snakes, lizards, and turtles. All the reptiles were captive-bred. The meat-eating snakes were fed captive-bred mice and wild-caught frogs. Several months later most of the snakes and some of the lizards had died of infections due to the snake amoeba Entamoeba invadens. What did the zookeeper do wrong that allowed the infections to take place?
A. The snakes were fed wild-caught frogs.
B. The zookeeper did nothing wrong; all snakes have the amoeba, but only rarely does it cause a problem.
C. The turtles shouldn't have been housed with the snakes.
D. The lizards shouldn't have been housed with the snakes.20. Which of the following parasites is a flat worm with the life cycle of egg, several larval states and adult?
A. Arachnids
B. Protozoans
C. Nematodes
D. Trematodes
Answered in 1 day by:
3/16/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hi again, Miriam. I'll be happy to assist with these questions, as well. Give me a short while to prepare a response for you.

A. Only Kurt is correct.
B. Neither is correct.
C. Both are correct.
D. Only Barb is correct.

2-What type of tapeworm is more of a threat to a dog's owner than to the dog itself?

A. Dipylidium caninum
B. Taenia taeniaeformis
C. Echinococcus granulosus
D. Taenia pisiformis

3. You've adopted a stray cat that's infested with lice. Several applications of an insecticide shampoo have limited the infestation for a while, but the lice keep coming back. A veterinarian recommends that you shave the cat and then apply the insecticide. What's the reasoning behind this advice?

D. The eggs are found on the hair and shaving removes them.

4. Which one of the following parasites can't be prevented from infecting chickens by raising the birds on wire?

A. Trichomonas
B. Capillaria
C. Syngamus
D. Eimeria

5-Which one of the following parasites of dogs is never found, at any stage of its life, in the lungs of the dog?

A. Trichuris vulpis
B. Ancylostoma caninum
C. Paragonimus kellicotti
D. Toxocara canis

6. Sean and Carol are discussing the life cycle of lice. Sean says that the life cycle of lice is eggs, larva, nymph, and adult. Carol says the life cycle of lice is egg, nymphs, and adult. Who's correct?

A. Neither is correct.
B. Both are correct.
C. Only Sean is correct.
D. Only Carol is correct.

7. A ferret shares a house with a dog. Which one of the following parasites is the ferret unlikely to get from the dog?

A. Cryptosporidium
B. Sarcocystis
C. Giardia
D. Isospora canis

8. Which one of the following parasites causes an infection?

A. Flies
B. Lice
C. Tapeworms
D. Fleas

9. Which one of the following control methods would help prevent cattle from becoming infected with the beef tapeworm?

C. Keep all dogs off the pasture.
D. Fence the pasture to keep out deer.

10. A friend has a dog with a tapeworm problem. The dog is four years old and has been kept indoors its entire life. However, it shares the house with a cat that's let out each night. The dog has been treated several times with a drug. After each treatment the proglottids stopped appearing in the feces. However, after about two weeks, they begin to reappear. Why can't your friend get rid of the dog's infection?

D. The drug the owner is using has no effect on fleas.

11. Which of the following prefers the blood of cattle, deer, and humans?

A. Tapeworms
B. Horsefly
C. Male face fly
D. Melophangus ovinus

12. A turtle has an open wound on one of its hind legs. The veterinarian has removed a parasite from under the skin at the edge of the wound. Which group does this parasite most likely belong to?

A. Ticks
B. Lice
C. Mites
D. Flies

13. A rancher has received less money than expected for his cattle because the hides had holes in them. The rancher has been told that these holes have been caused by some type of fly. It's currently the middle of winter and the rancher wants to use this time to treat the cattle to prevent the problem in the future. What would a veterinarian advise the rancher to do?

D. Have the ranch hands clean up the cattle feces from the pasture to remove the pupae before they develop to adults in the spring.

14. What's meant by a parasite that's host-specific?

A. Both are correct.
B. Only Walt is correct.
C. Neither is correct.
D. Only Jose is correct.

16. A rancher was having problems with the liver fluke Fasciola hepatica in the cattle on the ranch. The rancher treated the cattle with an insecticide, plowed the pasture in the early spring and again in summer, fenced off the pond in the center of the pasture, and fenced the pasture to keep out deer. The next year there was no problem with Fasciola hepatica in the new calves. Which one of these actions was responsible for the rancher's success in controlling the problem?

B. Fencing the pasture
D. Fencing the pond

17. Which of the following parasites is a single-cell animal?

A. Arachnids
B. Nematodes
C. Tapeworm
D. Protozoans

18. A farmer has just moved his swine from an outdoor pig sty into a new barn with concrete floors in an effort to prevent parasite problems. However, the sow's first litter develops diarrhea, and the veterinarian diagnoses a threadworm infection. Why didn't the concrete floor prevent this infection in the piglets?

D. Dormant larvae in the sow's body "woke up" and passed to the piglets through the milk.

19. A local zookeeper set up a reptile exhibit containing a number of different snakes, lizards, and turtles. All the reptiles were captive-bred. The meat-eating snakes were fed captive-bred mice and wild-caught frogs. Several months later most of the snakes and some of the lizards had died of infections due to the snake amoeba Entamoeba invadens. What did the zookeeper do wrong that allowed the infections to take place?

D. The lizards shouldn't have been housed with the snakes.

20. Which of the following parasites is a flat worm with the life cycle of egg, several larval states and adult?

A. Arachnids
B. Protozoans
C. Nematodes
D. Trematodes

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse