Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My duckling started by bobbing her head and it seemd. Like…

Hi my duckling started...

Hi my duckling started by bobbing her head and it seemd

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your bird?

Like she was choking

Veterinarian's Assistant: Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the bird's name and age?

Quackers and maybe 8 weeks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Quackers?

Her back legs seem to be rubber

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Her legs seem like rubber and she cant stand unassisted even though she tries
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/14/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Quakers, please? I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Her behavior suggests intoxication by chemical or aflatoxin - molds that grow on cereal grains and oilseeds, as well as botulism if she has access to stagnant ponds or other areas where decaying organic matter (animal carcasses, in particular) is found.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A call isnt necessary any more. We got her breathing normally last night. She coughed about 10 times, and she attempts to walk, gets in about a step or two and falls down. She is only about 4 weeks old, i asked my husband and he said she isn’t 8 weeks. She lives in our house with 6 chickens and 1 more duck. I clean the pen regularly and they always have access to water. We got some of the chicken “Gatorade” electrolyte solution added to the water and I am getting brewers yeast to add to their food today. We are thinking niacin deficiency?

Thank you for the good update. The improved feeds available for ducks should avoid a niacin deficiency. It's not ideal if she's eating chicken food and if so it's smart to feed brewer's yeast for its niacin content, at a dose of 5% of her feed. Her coughing is worrisome for an infectious disease such as Riemerella anatipestifer (which also can cause incoordination) or colibacillosis. I would begin treatment with enrofloxacin or sulfadimethoxine-ormetoprim for such a duckling. You'll need an avian vet (www.aav.org) to prescribe those antibiotics. The FDA has pulled all over the counter antibiotics designed for poultry save tylosin in the form of Tylan-50 which wouldn't be a good choice for those infections. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian