Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I've been to my vet twice within the last four days. My 14…

I've been to my...

I've been to my vet twice within the last four days. My 14 year old dog had diarrhea for 3 days, no blood, no vomiting. Straining and pain when she tried to go. Found a 3 in ribbon in her runny stool. She ate part of a stuffed animal and don't know how much more she has in her. The vet took X-rays but did not see anything. Should I wait and let her pass it or take her to a new vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Clipper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Clipper?

She has larangel paralysis and an enlarged liver. Vet put her on metrozilisal and an ointment fir her sore rear and increased her triminal p. She is eating chicken and rice

3/12/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Veterinarian
Hello I am Dr Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about clipper. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
the most important thing when dealing with a pet that has ingested a possible foreign body is monitoring for pain, appetite, vomiting and diarrhea. If she seems to be otherwise acting normally and is in good spirits as well as eating and drinking and is just having diarrhea then you could probably wait and monitor her especially since the vet did X-rays and did not see any obvious obstructive patterns. If she is unwilling to eat and drink and seems extremely lethargic and depressed, then I would definitely get a second opinion. As far as resolving the diarrhea I would recommend giving her some original Metamucil. I would not purchase the flavor type. if you provide me with her weight I can give you the dose of Metamucil that you could give to her twice daily to help firm up the stool. You can combine this with the bland diet. This fiber source is great for diarrhea and can often times help to firm the stool. You can also Implement a probiotic supplement that may also help to balance her digestion. Purina makes a great probiotic called fortiflora that you could add to her food daily.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wow, thank you. She is 45 lbs. The vet gave me a probiotic to give to her.She was in pain and trembling and had difficulty breathing so the vet provided acepromazine to help her relax. she is lethargic already and very sleepy. My choice was to worry about her suffocating from the larengel paralysis or keep her alert. I give her the meds to relax her and do not want her to be in pain, I cut the dose in half. Will the acepromazine make it more difficult for her to pass the object?
you could give her a tablespoon of Metamucil twice a day. Again do not get the flavored type. I completely understand your dilemma. The acepromazine should not make it more difficult for her to pass a foreign body however it will just be a bit more difficult to determine her degree of lethargy from the intestinal upset and diarrhea. Because of the sedating properties of the acepromazine you won't be able to determine how alert she would be otherwise. My advice would just be to take it one day at a time and follow up with your vet if she is not making any improvements.
Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week so keep me posted on how she is doing.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** a wonderful service!
How are things going today?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for asking. Stool seems to be firmer in morning, followed by afternoon Diarrhea, then trembling. Vet said they could do blood work, but can't tell if there's more fabric inside her. She is eating, little better last night, but poor baby has a bad upset stomach still - week 2. Vet says give it some time, not sure how long to wait for her to go through this and when it is an emergency.
I feel like she should be feeling better already. Blood work is not a bad idea. Did they say anything about an abdominal ultrasound? Maybe there is something completely different going on. I know it gets to be kind of expensive. At some point, if she's not getting better I guess I'll have to decide if more testing is warranted. Has she been on a bland diet, anti-nausea medication and / or antacids?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks I think I will request an Abdominal ultrasound. It is getting expensive, but she is my baby and I want her to feel better. I've been feeding her chicken and rice for a week and thought about pepto bismal as she has had that before when she was throwing up. I've run out of what ifs. This site is very helpful. I'll sign up for more. Just praying Clipper feels better. She likes the long walks so I'm doing whatever is needed.
For gastrointestinal disease of unknown cause, I would stay away from the Pepto bismol. it will make the stool black and you won't know if there is intestinal bleeding or not. It would be better to give pepcid ac.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Veterinarian