Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

He is a cocktail and shaking alot and sometimes puffed up…

He is a cocktail...

He is a cocktail and shaking alot and sometimes puffed up but is eating on my table now. He isn't showing any signs of sickness for he is chipper and was singing the other day but has been shaking for awhile. I up the furnace and have a heat lamp for him to

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Cockatiel

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the cockatiel's name and age?

Age unknown maybe over 6 or more and male

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cockatiel?

Larry

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Been hand feeding to get him use to my hand and trying to get him out of cage more for he is/ was cage bound
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Going to bed for up for work early so never mind question
3/13/2018
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Own Animal Care/Rescue Org

I'm August Abbott, owner of an animal rescue org.& state preserve wrkr. I just now became aware of your question here, apparently a site glitch and I'm very sorry that you've been waiting and stressed over your 'tiels behavior.

I understand exactly how you feel. It was a little male 'tiel that led to my building this rescue/sanctuary. He had quite an impact on me.

While I cannot provide phone svc, I can compose a comprehensive reply for you - that is, if you still want help.

I understand your guy's at least 6 yrs old. Tell me what he generally eats every day. Has he been on a seed blend diet x 6 yrs or pellets or fresh food - or all the above? The more specific you are, the better.

Using a heat lamp for him during the day is a wise choice - are you using anything at night?

Any other birds?

I'm in California - so if there's a difference in our time zones, please allow for that. Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He gets heat lamp at all times and he gets Roudybush low fat in morning and Smart selects at night. Also he gets broccoli, parsley and now Bok choy which he loves. He may be older than 6 for got from work and I am 3 to 5 owner but last. No other birds, came with a parakeet but she died egg bound 2 years agoand had him 3 in this June

If the heat lamp is producing 'light' you need to discontinue it at night so he can get a healthy sleep cycle. For nighttime heat you can layer a pillowcase or folded sheet on the side of his cage where he tends to settle in - then using clothespins or clips, attach a heating pad on the outside of this (let's call it pillowcase) avoiding the wires with the clips. Set it on medium. Check regularly to be sure it's not too hot

I must commend you on the diet you've chosen. This almost completely rules out some of the more common health issues we see in 'tiels, but just like non smokers can get lung cancer; thin people can get diabetes, even though the potential is low on the list, it's still there. That would be hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease) and hypocalcemia along with internal tumors or other disease.

Let's explore other possibilities:

By nature your bird is a ground grazer. That means they need constantly cleaned cages and not the kind with a solid bottom, but a wire grate bottom where things can fall through to the catch-pan underneath. Because of their nature to forage around the bottom and on grounds, they are known to contract Bacterial Enteritis – caused by salmonella, E.coli, coliforms and other bacteria infecting the intestinal tract. Common symptoms include diarrhea and going off their food; fluffing, lethargy, picking at and scratching their vent (bottom end), preferring the bottom of the cage and perhaps what looks like seizures (shaking, shivering).
---

The good news is that even a very sick bird can recover from this with a quick veterinary intervention and administration of the proper antibiotic (which will depend on the type of bacteria is found).
---

The most significant reason to have your bird immediately seen and treated? Many of these conditions are zoonotic. You can catch it yourself. In children, the elderly or in persons with compromised/weakened immune systems this can be a very serious, perhaps life threatening human problem.

If your little guy seems to worsen before you can get him to help, here's a home-intensive care unit you can make:

For a makeshift brooder : Use a small box lined with soft clothes like tee shirts.
---
Use a thick, clean sock and fill it ¾ with plain, raw white rice. Knot the end and microwave it for about 1 ½ minutes. Shake it afterwards to distribute the heat and be sure it's not too hot. Tuck this in just under the cloths.
---
A heating pad under the box is also helpful, set on low. This is one of the few times I’d ever use both heat sources if necessary to maintain incubation temp (90-105 degrees).
--- If ever using an electric source for heating anything in anyway, please be vigilant and constantly double checking carefully.
---
Gently drape a light cover over this box to further help hold heat in and keep light low. Setting up a hot steam vaporizer in the area will also likely help keep the bird more comfortable.

If the bird isn’t eating or drinking on their own, have an eye dropper ready for some sugar water. To make this, 1 tablespoon of regular, white table sugar (absolutely no sugar substitutes) to ½ cup of regular water - mix until completely dissolved and put a drop at the side of the beak so it falls into the mouth rather than forcing it down their throat and chancing inhalation.
---
You can also dip your well washed and dried finger into natural honey, maple or corn syrup and touch this to the side of their beak as well. Yes, you can do one of these things or all of these things - the purpose is to help with hydration and also to increase blood sugar. As a result you might see an improvement in energy or getting the bird interested in taking food and water on their own.

---
Do not mis read improvement as a cure. The bird still needs to see a doctor. All you’ve done is buy some extra time.
---

I am going to be here for you and your companion as long as you need me (btw, what's his name?)

If you'll rate our interaction I can take the question down from the board (please be sure not to rate me for the site issue in delaying your question being seen; I hate that too!)

In any event, you have my full support. It's nice finding a 'tiel owner who is doing absolutely everything right, including noticing that something's 'off' before it turns into something far more serious and complicated.

Where in the country are you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for the compliment, I do want to make his life better so trying my best by what I feed Larry , his cage is a PlayStation cage and I cover the sides and back at night and will turn off heat lamp at night but will use a night light because he does get night fright so still cover but let in a little light so he isn't scared. This cage also has a grid so he can't eat from bottom of cage though never see him go to bottom at all. He also is eating and drinking normal with normal dropping. He plays in cage and comes out sometimes to eat near me for he was cage bound but working on that. We live in Patterson NY. I also had him tested for liver disease awhile ago but doesn't have it. Thank God ��his only symptom is shaking he doesn't have any other symptoms. So Thanks for replying and for all you do in rescuing. Have a Great Day Nancy Larry the cockatiel ��❤

I'm from upstate NY - between the Albany and Lk George area. Came to CA for a weeklong visit 25 yrs ago. I don't miss the Noreasters!

You really are doing a super job with Larry - and very wise choice to avoid nightfrights, which are pretty common in 'tiels.

Keep a close eye on him. If his droppings get watery or bubbly, change color without explanation, etc. - if the fluffing starts lasting longer or anything worsens, even a little bit, it's worthwhile to err on the side of caution

If you haven't tried this, it's often a very well accepted method of getting additional beta carotene into him just in case his vitamin A is dipping (never ever use a vit.A supplement in any form) - human baby food, sweet potatoes. In the natural form, beta carotene is converted to vit A as needed by the body and the rest is safely passed through. Vit A supplements are usually fat soluble and collect in the liver.

Be sure to let me know how Larry does -- including his getting better. Hopefully he's just anxious for warm weather again. So very little of it out there !

August Abbott, CAS
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just gave you a Great review because you were Great. We have 10 acres in Granville NY and my parents came from Potsdam, Norfolk NY. Yes, can't wait for warmer weather so can put Larry out for some D3 and hope to get him hand trained to put in Aviator harness and can go for dog walks on rail trail with my 2 rescue Bosties. Thanks for the info was really helpful and will still make vet appointment just to check him over. He is very happy just the shaking bothers me. Have a Great Night

My Godmother was from Granville! I've been through Potsdam hundreds of times (really, people live there?)

Seriously small world isn't it?

I'd love to hear back about Larry - even if just for peace of mind. And if you need help in hand training, which I doubt you will, I'm here.

If you get that harness on him and it works out, let me know. I tried that on the little 'tiel who was behind my creating this sanctuary and the look he gave me? Harness came off and I apologized for 3 months. He was well traveled though - with me as I flew all over the country and so very well behaved both in airports and on the planes. Larry will likely do well, however you decide to carry with him with you. These are happily social little birds. I miss having a 'tiel around - but I wouldn't want these special needs macaws to feel inadequate in the presence of the big personality of a 'tiel

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just wanted to let you know took him to vet but God bless they found nothing wrong other than he is chubby and also sent home meds called AviCalm for she thought he might be nervous so not hand feeding for a week and see what happens. Thanks again and have a Great Day

I can't thank you enough for checking back and letting me know. Too many people don't bother.

You're one of the BEST and I'll always, always be here for you. But alas, hopefully, you'll never need me.

Blessings of joy, love and many years to you and your sweetheart

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You too and enjoy your babies ❤❤❤❤
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS