Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My one and a half year old hamster (Sadie) has her head

My one and a...

My one and a half year old hamster (Sadie) has her head tilted to the right side of her body and is spinning in circles, what do I do I hear it’s called a Vestibular disease

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the hamster?

Her head is tilted to the right of her body and she keeps spinning in circles

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the hamster seem to hurt?

Around her neck and front two feet maybe her head too

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the hamster's name?

Sadie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sadie?

No, not that I think of

3/12/2018
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping pocket pets. I'm reviewing your question now, and will be right back.
Okay thank you
I'm sorry to hear that Sadie is having this problem. It is frightening to watch a pet go through this. I'm going to work on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I. The meantime, if you haven't already done so, move all her toys, and push up litter around the cage sides so she can't run into anything. I'll be back. I appreciate your patience n

Thank you for waiting.

Vestibular disease is a complex and serious illness, but it can be treated successfully in many hamsters.

Vestibular disease can originate in either the ear or the brain stem. There are many things that can go wrong in these structures that will cause the symptoms you are seeing. There are protozoal infections, bacterial infections, brain tumors, strokes, and injuries, to name a few. You are going to need an experienced hamster vet to figure out exactly what is going on and begin an appropriate treatment.

The following links will take you to directories of vets who treat small rodents. At the first site, you'll come to a log-in page. Sign in as 'member' and use 'member' as your password ***** well.

http://www.rmca.org/Vets/index.php?action=list

http://www.ratfanclub.org/vetref.html

The sooner treatment begins, the better the prognosis, so if you can make an appointment today, that would be best. You may need to hand feed Sadie and give it water from a syringe if she's unable to eat or drink. The following site will tell you about vestibular disease, including how a vet may treat it, and what you can do at home to increase your hamster's chances of recovery. The site is geared toward rabbits, but the same information applies to hamsters.

http://www.rabbit.org/health/tilt.html

An ear infection is one of the common causes, and that can be treated with prescription antibiotics. I hope it will turn out that is what Sadie has.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

What can I do for now to make sure she doesn’t get hurt worse

Remove all her toys. Put in extra bedding/litter and pile it up against the sides of the cage. An alternative is to put her in a small cardboard box with thick litter. We just don't want her running into anything.

Hello again,

I'm just checking to see how Sadie is doing. Were you able to get her in to a vet?

Anna

We live in Phoenix Arizona however we don’t know where a rodent vet would be to see her

Here are some:

Dr.Stephanie Lamb

Arizona Exotic Animal Hospital – 2locations

20040 N 19thAve Ste. C, Phoenix AZ 85027

744 N. Center St. Ste. 101, Mesa AZ 85201

(###) ###-####and(###) ###-####/p>

Dr. Susan Goshert
Union Hills Animal Hospital
18410 N. 19th Ave
Phoenix, AZ
(###) ###-####/p>

http://unionhillsanimalhospital.com/

(2014)

Dr. Hillary Frank

North Central Animal Hospital

20 W Dunlap

Phoenix, Arizona 85012

(###) ###-####/p>

http://northcentralanimalhospital.com/

2004—Toriand Ilissa Lewsader)

Dr. Marian Ansems

VCA Phoenix West Animal Hospital

6530 West Indian School Road

Phoenix, AZ 85033

(###) ###-####/p>

http://www.vcahospitals.com/phoenix-west

Dr. Mike Kiedrowski

Dove Valley Animal Hospital

4815 E Carefree Hwy, Ste 116

Cave Creek, AZ 85331

(###) ###-####/p>

Dr.Brian Ashmore

AnimalHealth Services

37555 N. Cave Creek Rd

Cave Creek, AZ 85027

(###) ###-####/p>

Dr.Tom Ardelt
Arrowhead Ranch Animal Hospital
6750 W. Deer Valley Road, Ste. C101
Glendale, AZ 85310(###) ###-####/p>

WesternAnimal Hospital PLC

5110W. Northern Avenue

Glendale, AZ 85301

(###) ###-####/p>

Dr. Jill Patt

Little Critters Veterinary Hospital

1525 N Gilbert Rd, Ste 101C

Gilbert, AZ 85234

(###) ###-####/p>

I hope one of them can help.

Anna

Thank you so much

You're very welcome.

Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna