Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My pet rat has a small ish lump in roughly the same are

Hi! My pet rat...

Hi! My pet rat has a small ish lump in roughly the same are where she

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the rat's name and age?

Oops! I sent it before I was finished. She’s has two tumors removed already but this one looks different. He skin I very red and and it looks super sensitive, but she still acting normal. He name is ***** ***** she’s about a year and a few months old.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Where on her body is the lump?

Is it firm, fluidy or warm to the touch?

Did her vet send either of those surgically removed lumps for testing/

Can you take a photo of this for me to assess? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Oh dear,

The poor love!

Now the reason why its so sensitive is because the underlying mass is growing to the point its starting to ulcerate the skin. This is very painful for them (as it would be for us) and it does increase real risk of secondary bacterial infection causing an abscess within the skin/mass (and that may be part of its current swelling already). As well, I have to say that I would question their findings on the whole mass that was sent in because there isn't really a way for tumors to come back "negative". The pathologist would either see a cancer and name it, or if it was normal tissue (or something they couldn't identify) they'd have at least told you what cell/tissue type it is. And that is quite important in that area, since there is a local lymph node and if that is involved then we'd be worried about lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes) but otherwise we'd suspect the reason we've had regrowth is because the vet has not been able to remove all the tumor cells when operating (so those few left regrow the mass).

Anyway, for the moment, we are limited in what we can safely do here. In fact, we only can really try gently warm compressing this lump. This can reduce inflammation. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required). Otherwise we'd really want her back to her vet because we cannot afford for that to grow more and ulcerate further. Ideally, we'd want it removed or at the very least, we'd want your vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If they remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If clear or blood stained fluid is removed, then we may have a cyst we can drain. Else we'd want them to at least get her onto pain relief/ anti-inflammatories to reduce its size +/- antibiotics here while looking into that previous report and the practicalities of removing this completely with clean margins so it cannot regrow.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ll get her in as soon as possible. Thank you SO much for the help!

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to be of aid and wish you both the best. :)

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you when you own vet cannot, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian