Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My 12 year old Koi has two random spots along its spine and…

My 12 year...

My 12 year old Koi has two random white spots along its spine and a growth on it’s body, close to it’s tail. The growth is about 1/4 inch. The white spots do not seem to be raised. The growth appears to be same color as skin. Can you advise with this limited information.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the Koi's name?

King Tut

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about King?

He is swimming and eating normally. Only noticed these changes in the last month. He is in an outdoor pond year round and we are in Texas, coming out of a colder than normal winter.

3/11/2018
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come on line at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I would like to help you with your koi.Would it be possible to post a photo? If so, you can upload one by clicking on the paper clip icon in the toolbar at the top of the space where you type. Instructions will pop up.Thank you.
Thank you for getting back to me. Your picture did come through. While fish don’t shed their skin, scales can come off due to small injuries or harmful chemicals in the water. I’m working on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for waiting. As a precaution before doing anything have the water tested for levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. You want ammonia at 0, nitrites at 0, and nitrates at 20ppm or lower. If you don't have a test kit, most pet stores will run a test for free if you take in a sample of your pond water in a clean glass jar. If you find you have a water problem, the next step would be to do a water change. Since King Tut is eating and behaving normally, I don't think you will find anything bad. I suspect he lost the scales by bumping into or rubbing on something in the pond. If you don't have live plants in the pond, you can add pond/aquarium salt at the rate of one tablespoon per five gallons of water. That can help with healing. However, salt can be harmful to live plants. In that case, you can add a product called StressCoat according to instructions on the bottle.

While I can't get a good view of the barnacle-like growth in the pic, I suspect it is carp pox. Carp pox is caused by a virus in the herpesvirus family. It causes white or or skin colored waxy bumps in various sizes. Some will disappear. New ones may show up. More may grow where the scales are missing.There is no cure for it, but the affected fish seem to live healthy normal lives with it. It is believed that most koi have been exposed to it, but have built up a resistance to it so they don't become infected. If they are stressed, an outbreak can occur. Weather changes in spring and fall are often the source of stress that causes this. If you have other koi, and they are busy with spawning, that is another source of stress. Regardless, there is nothing that can be done about carp pox.

In summary, I would test the water and do changes if necessary, and treat with either pond salt or StressCoat. Otherwise, just keep an eye on King Tut. If anything changes, just let me know in a follow-up to this question (there's no additional fee as long as you don't open a brand new question). I'm glad to help.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Thank you Anna...I found this very helpful and I will move forward on your suggestions. Thanks again.
You're very welcome. I hope your pond will thrive this summer.
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna
I had the water tested and the water is fine. King Tut seems to be ok, so far.
My pond store, Creative Water Gardens, is suggesting that it might be a fungus..or it may be an injury as you suggested. I did buy a natural product for fungus to treat the water for 10 days.
I'm glad to hear the water is fine. Fungus is usually fuzzy in appearance, and it often spreads fast, but you never know. Please let me know if there's any change after the treatment.