Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

One of my hamsters bit the other one and now he has this…

Customer Question
One of my hamsters...

One of my hamsters bit the other one and now he has this kind of scab thing on his back I’m worried cause it looks swollen and it happened around like two weeks ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your hamster?

He’s a robot dwarf hamster he still eats his food but he’s more skiddish tho but I don’t want it to get any worse

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pet
3/9/2018
Pet Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It appears that the bite wound has abscessed causing the swelling and scab where the abscess had broken through the skin and drained. This is best attended to by a pocket-pet vet who will open the abscess surgically, flush it out with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine, and give you a liquid antibiotic you would give your hamster by mouth. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Is there anything I can do to help him until I can take him in?
It kind of seems like it hurts him

He would need to be restrained by a helper and you would need to open the wound (with a hemostat or tweezers, for example) and flush it out with over the counter Hibiclens found in your local drug store. This will be quite painful and you're likely to be bitten unless you've been trained in how to handle these hamsters. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I’m super scared that it’s gonna hurt himmmm but it’s probably better than leaving it cause it’s scary there both separated now

I understand.

IS there any cream I need or just the Hibiclens to was it out

You don't want to cover (occlude) a draining wound. Yes, it needs to be washed out, instead.

Sorry but one more question I’ve noticed he started licking it more and I haven’t tried washing it out yet should I stop him from doing that or

How can one stop a hamster from licking? I don't believe that that's possible!