Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

He is having trouble walking and he won't eat or drink. He…

He is having trouble...

He is having trouble walking and he won't eat or drink

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

He is a dwarf hamster

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

When he stands to walk he just falls over

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the hamster's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** not sure of his age....I bought him back n december

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Shredder?

I'm not sure

3/8/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ Years and I have special interest in exotics.

Can you tell me if Shredder is an adult?

Has he been drinking a lot up until now?

Does he urinate a lot?

How long has he been off fluids and food?

Joan

I don't think he is an adult and he usually drank a lot and peed a lot up until today

Thank you! I suspect the hamster may be a diabetic. Dwarf Hamsters are predisposed to diabetes. We see hypoglycemia happen quite often. We can try some emergency measures to see if we can help. Please start by giving him a few drops of Karo or Maple syrup in his mouth. You can try using the syrup with s syringe, or an eye dropper. If this is hypglycemia he will start perking up. Next crush and grind his pellets into a fine Powder and mix with some Pedialyte and again with syring or eye dropper try and feed. You can make a pocket in the side of the mouth and slowly try and get the slurry into Shredders mouth.

You can give Pedilayte mixed with water 50/50 for fluids.

These are emergency methods and not to replace a Vet visit. He will still need to see a Vet for a check up and diagnosis.

I am hoping these measures will bring Shredder back around where he can walk, eat and drink on his own.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Thank you for all your help but he just stopped breathing

I am so sorry for the loss. I suspect he was a diabetic and without food and fluids his body quit functioning. If I was helpful Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. My condolences fr the loss.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan