Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

A friend as recently moved in with her 10 year Bombay cat.

A friend as recently...

A friend as recently moved in with her 10 year Bombay cat. The cat attacks the dog viciously and growls from inside the house if he sees the dog. The dog is not annoying the cat at all. We are keeping them separated.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Previously the dog was allowed inside but this as had to stop. The dog is now going next door to my mothers during the day to accommodate the cat settling in. It has been off his food and now starting to relax more and eating

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Jessie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about Jessie?

She is a kelpie/ blue healer/ staffy cross 11 years old. She has not been around cats for the last 2 years but previously grew up with a cat

My dog suffers with arthritis and during winter needs to warm place to sleep. She has always been allowed inside in the evening so she can be part of the family. I previously have lived on my own. My only daughter 24 year old daughter doesn’t live at home anymore
3/9/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear about your difficult situation. The cat seems to be very stressed. There are a couple of things that might help with that. One is a Feliway diffuser that plugs into the wall and releases calming feline pheromones. The other thing you could try is putting a calming collar on the cat. There is one called Nature Calm that you can buy online for about $15.

Should the cat be disciplined when it growls and attacks the dog. If so how would you go about that? Thanks for calming option I will look into at pet supplies

You can fill a small spray bottle with water. Then decide what specific behavior you want her not to do. For example, suppose she starts growling. That's when you should get the spray bottle in your hand (have it close by). If she goes after him, give her a quick spray to her face. Hopefully between the calming measures and discouraging the attacking, things will improve.

On the other hand, if she growls but doesn't attack, offer her a treat (keep some on hand) and lots of praise.

When she starts to growl you can distract her with treats, and she will eventually learn that not attacking means getting treats and attacking means getting sprayed in the face.

ok we can give it go... she wont think she is being rewarded for growling?

I don't think so. When she growls she is in a state of anxiety and by giving her treats you are distracting her from it. I don't think she will start growling on purpose to get treats.

OK good :-)

Good luck! And if I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. Or, if you have any other questions, or concerns, I would be happy to continue our conversation.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian