Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I have pet rabbits with crusty noses. They have crusty

I have pet rabbits...

I have pet rabbits with crusty noses

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the rabbit?

They have crusty noses. They are sisters. They are 4 months old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the rabbit seem to hurt?

No where. They just keep scratching their face.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the rabbit's name?

One is named blossom and the other precious

3/9/2018
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come on line at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits. I'm sorry to hear your rabbits are having this problem. If you still need help, some additional information will be useful.Have you noticed them sneezing or coughing?Is there discharge from their noses? Or, is the crustiness the skin itself, rather than dried mucus?Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its crustiness on the nose itself
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have not noticed any drainage.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They are not sneezing or coughing either. Sorry took me a while to respond. I didn't think anyone would help me. Please answer as we are concerned.
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm sorry that Precious and Blossom are having a problem. I'm going to work on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.
Thank you for waiting. This is unusual. Most of the time, crustiness is caused by discharge that hardens. Since that isn't the case, there is either a skin Infection or an irritation. The first thing to do is rule out irritations. If you use a wood- based litter/bedding, switch to one that is paper-based, such as CareFresh. If they eat from plastic bowls, start using ceramic or stainless steel. Check their hay to make sure it isn't dusty. All of these are things that can irritate the skin. Once you've taken care of all these things, gently wash their noses, then put a very thin layer of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on. Try not to get any in the nostrils themselves. Repeat this once per day, always keeping it very thin.If there's no improvement within a few days, we have to consider other possibilities. This could be a bacterial or fungal infection. It could be caused by mites. Only a vet can diagnose these conditions. A skin scraping may need to be done. Once a diagnosis is made, these conditions are relatively easy to treat.If you have more concerns, just let me know. I'm glad to help in any way I can. I hope the problem will quickly clear up.Anna
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your response. We will try everything and let you know how things turn out. I tried to take a picture of them but they would not stay still.
You're very welcome. Yes, rabbits don't like to pose for pictures. I wish you success with treatment.
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Im sorry just got your message. The rabbits are doing well. Their noses have gotten better. The hair is starting to grow back. One has an eye that is swollen. It was draining but has stopped. I think all the things i had in the cage was causing them problems. We removed all the plastic and changed to carefresh bedding.
They dont scratch and clean themselves as much as they use to. It seems like they are slowly getting better.
I'm glad to hear they are getting better. They may recover even faster if you make sure everything is optimal for them. Be sure they have all the grass hay they want to eat. Depending on what size of rabbits they will be when full grown, they will need 1/4 to 1/2 cup of plain rabbit pellets each day. Don't use the 'gourmet mixes' and other fancy foods. Despite what pet stores say, those foods are not good for them. They can also have a little fresh produce, like collards, parsley, carrot tops. Fruit and actual carrots should only be used as treats. I'll be right back with a site that has great information for first time rabbit owners.
Here you go:https://rabbit.org/care-2/If you click on the various tabs at the top, you'll find information on everything from diet to illness. I hope your little ones will thrive.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok. Will watch video. I give them timothy hay and regular rabbit pellets. Have not given them much produce. Will start giving them more produce this week.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you so much for all your help:). We appreciate all your suggestions.

You're very welcome. Go slow with the produce. Increasing it quickly results in diarrhea. I would start with just a tiny nibble.

Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist