Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Please tell me the best brand and ingredient mix of wild…

Please tell me the best...
Please tell me the best brand and ingredient mix of wild bird food. Thank you
3/5/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Hi, Dillon. Can you tell me more about what you're wanting to do? Are you wanting to attract birds for feeding? How are you planning to offer this food to the birds? If using a feeder, what type is it? Are you hoping to attract certain types of birds?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a birdfeeder. Not sure of the species of bird

Can you tell me more about the feeder or share a picture?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it's an open outside feeder with two glass cups opposite each other. The feeder is a narrow rectangular shaped house with some of the rooftop overhanging the glass feet containers. It's a basic A-frame type of structure.

Excellent. It sounds like you have a lot of options for what foods you can use. For smaller feeders, of course, we'd want to be sure that the larger items in a high quality feed wouldn't get stuck or otherwise be rendered unavailable to the birds you're trying to feed. This is the mix I would recommend, though just about anything off of this website is going to be high quality: https://www.duncraft.com/Wild-Delight-Nut-N-Berry-Bird-Seed-20-lbs These feeds are intended to be 0% waste with no fillers that birds tend to snub, such as millet and milo. This particular feed has a wide range of food item sizing, so you're apt to attract a variety of birds. This feed contains sunflower kernels, peanuts, sunflower seeds, safflower seed, pistachios, hulled pumpkin seed, dried raisins and dried cranberries.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you,. I would like to know if you have any other more economical suggestions
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm looking to purchase a 10 pound bag. I do not see a small bag for this brand. What types of seed or mix is most important to have or provides the most nutritional value?

You are going to want to look for more than just nutritional value. You want the birds to be willing to eat it, as well. I would consider either mixing your own based on the ingredients above or even purchasing a moderately lower quality feed like this one: https://www.duncraft.com/Duncraft-Super-No-Waste-Plus It comes in 5# ***** and you could order two.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse