Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

It is a beta fish. Suffered from mouth fungus. Tried to

It is a beta...

It is a beta fish

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the fish?

Suffered from mouth fungus. Tried to treat it and it looks worse. I want to help the little guy but not sure how. Can someone help me?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the fish seem to hurt?

Right eye and mouth

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the fish's name and age?

Sharkbait. Roughly 2 years or more

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sharkbait?

I am not sure at the moment. He has a huge hole that seems to get worse

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I thought you said someone would help me?
Please hurry before I accidentally kill the fish
2/25/2018
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is***** a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I'm here to help you.
Thank you. Any chance we can talk over the phone. There is a lot that has taken place
Please tell me where the huge hole is located, and what medication you already used to try to treat the problem.Thank you.
Right eye and towards the mouth. I have given him Melafix but it didn't seem to help. I tried Herbal ActiveX Artemiss but that has made matters worse.
I don't have the money to pay for a phone call
Can you help me or not
The cotton looking substance turned into a hole. I believe I can see the bone or whatever is yellow around his eye socket.
If the illness has not progressed too far, I can help you in this question and answer format. I think Sharkbait has two separate conditions. I will give you ways to treat it, but it will take me a few minutes to type up the information. I'm not a fast typist, but will be back shortly.
It bleeds often. Today I thought I would try to add the chemical but this not time njot over do it. Then shortly after adding it, i became paranoid that it would hurt and cleaned his tank right away. The hole is bleeding and almost looks like his eye is bulging out. Sorry if I am coming off rude but i am really freaking out about killing my 8 years old's fish
He is breathing fast, like an asthma attack.

You are not killing him, but if he is 8 years old, he is very, very old for a betta. They seldom live more than 5 years.

Prior he was at the top of the tank but taking in a bunch of air. I read online they shouldn't do that unless somethhign is wrong.

Older fish are prone to all kinds of illnesses that younger fish don't get.

No my son is 8 sorry. The beta is roughly 2 years of age. He was left behind after a roommate moved out

OK. Thank you for clarifying. Give me a few minutes.

He darts to the top and back again. Like a person drowning.

You are not coming across as rude, just scared. I understand. I know you don't want to hear what I'm going to say, but I believe you deserve honesty. Chances of saving the betta are slim, but we can try. It sounds like this started with a fungal infection. Melafix treats bacterial infections. A skin ulcer developed under the fungus. An ulcer will continue to get larger, and will eventually erode away the skin and flesh. This has already happened, and it is nearly impossible to treat at that point.

Get some aquarium salt, which is sold in most pet stores. It should be added to the tank at the rate of 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. . Also buy both Melafix and Pimafix. These medicines can safely be used together, and will treat the secondary bacterial and fungal infections that often develop in ulcers. Use according to the instructions on the bottle. You can also add StressCoat to help restore the protective slime coat on the fish.

With a hole in his head showing bone, Sharkbait is in pain. The hole is not likely to heal. If he were an adult's pet, I would recommend humanely ending his suffering. Since he is a child's pet, I think we should try the treatment. Even if it doesn't work, it's important for your son to see that you are doing all you can.

Thank you, ***** ***** the honesty! I will try your suggestions. I took a screen of our conversation. You rock Anna, thank yo u!

After you have shown your son you are trying really hard, you'll need to make a decision. I wouldn't be surprised if the fish passes away in the next 24 hours. But sometimes they linger, and get worse and worse. If that appears to be happening, euthanasia is the kindest thing to do. It's a hard decision to make, and hard to do, but sometimes what is hard for us is best for our pets. If you want to know the best way to do that, I will post it in a separate post. That way, you can read it when you're ready, or ignore it if you want to.

If you decide to end Sharkbait's suffering, I would do it after your son is asleep. Then you can tell him the fish passed away over night.

You can tell me on here on how to sweetly let him go
I feel awful because i tried so hard and i didn't want it to come down to this. He wasn't sick until I brought in a snail.

Just saw your latest post. You're welcome. I would have a conversation with your little boy before you treat the fish. Let him know just how sick Sharkbait is, but that you are trying to help. We don't want him to be totally surprised at losing the fish. You can even tell him is fish is old. Many bettas do die between 2 and 3 years of age.

OK, If you decide to go ahead with euthanization, you’ll need some clove oil (eugenol) and some vodka. Clove oil is sold in pharmacies as a toothache remedy. It is used as an anesthetic for fish surgery. First take some water out of the tank. Measure it and keep track of how much it is. One cup is a good amount. Put the water in a small container, and then put in the fish. Next take a small jar or bottle and fill it with water from the tank. Add a drop of clove oil, and shake well. The clove oil will emulsify in the water, which should then turn white.

Pour some of the clove oil/water mixture into the container the fish is in. After about 10 minutes, the fish should be asleep on the bottom. If it isn’t, add more of the clove oil/water. When the fish is asleep, add 25% vodka to the container. That means if you used one cup of water to begin with, you’ll add 1/4 cup of vodka. The vodka is what causes passing. The clove oil prevents pain. (It is even used by vets for fish surgery.) Wait about 20 minutes. Check the fish to see if it is still breathing through its gills. If the gills don’t move for one minute, the fish has died.

I have used this method many times and it has always resulted in a peaceful passing. It's much better than the old method of freezing the fish.

Don't feel bad. Things like this happen all the time with fish. They aren't like dogs and cats where we can go to a vet and get an accurate diagnosis. It often comes down to a guessing game to decide how to treat. The snail may have brought in a fungal infection, but people have been keeping snails and fish together for centuries. If the snail carried a fungus, that isn't your fault. It was just an accidental occurrence.

Thank you!

You're welcome. I feel so bad for you. It's so hard for parents to be in this situation. I'm also going to give you a few ideas to help your son with this. I was a teacher for a number of years, and often had distraught students come in after losing a pet.

Depending on what your son is interested in, he could make a scrapbook about Sharkbait with poems he's written, pictures he's drawn, paragraphs about his memories of his fish, etc. I've found doing something like that helps many kids. He could also do any of those things individually if he doesn't want to do a whole scrapbook. If hands-on activities are more his style, a clay sculpture of Sharkbait might be good. If he likes to do things online, here's a site where he could leave a memorial:

http://www.chancesspot.org/

A small celebration of life or funeral service is comforting to some kids. If the fish is to be buried, he could design a stone. You can use one of the decorative concrete patio blocks sold in home improvement stores.

Finally, if he seems to need some counseling from a non-family member, this site offers free pet grief counseling by trained volunteers:

http://www.aplb.org/

I do think it would be appropriate for him to take the next school day off if the death is affecting him deeply. Not only does that give him a little more time to process his grief, it's an acknowledgment of the importance of an animal's life and of the your son's love for his fish. Over the years, I've dealt with many kids whose parents sent them to school while they were still grief-stricken, and they simply weren't able to function normally yet. They would have been better off at home. Other kids seem to process more quickly and don't need the time away. You'll be the best judge of that.

I'm keeping you in my thoughts. If there's any other way I can help, just let me know.

Anna

ma'am. Thank you for the help you have provided with me. I greatly appreciate it as it will be the first time a pet has passed.

That makes it even harder. I'm so sorry for you going through this. .

Actually it looked like he just had a really bad seizure, nose dived to the bottom and now histwitching and trying to swim
Oh, he's even nearer to death then. It won't do any good, but you can add a little Melafix if you think it will help your son to see that you are doing something. If your son isn't there, you can just leave the fish in peace and let nature take its course.
I moved him out of the tank and into a bucket for eight now since i wish the snail. Is it wise to buy another fish when Sharkbait was just in there?
As I mentioned earlier we had just cleaned the tank (with Dawn dishsoap) but he was placed back in when the seizure and that occured
No. You'll need to give the tank a thorough cleaning first. Even though you just cleaned it, spores and bacteria can repopulate fast. I would scrub it with aquarium salt, then let it dry completely. Aquarium salt is better for disinfecting fish tanks and is completely safe. Any live plants can harbor the infection, so get rid of them. Ornaments can be cleaned with salt. It would be best to use new gravel. Then you'll be ready to refill the tank and get a new fish.
He just passed. Thank you again. Have a good one
Thank you for letting me know. You're welcome for the help. I wish we could have had a better outcome, but it wasn't to be. I wish you a peaceful evening.
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist