Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My Brahma Hen keeps her eyes closed, won't move and is roach…

My Brahma Hen keeps...

My Brahma Hen keeps her eyes closed, won't move and is roach backed

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your bird. What is the bird's name and age?

Her name is Brahma (because she is the only brahma we have ) and she is 4 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brahma?

She was acting weird this AM. When they came out of the coop she didn't have her usual energy and walked slowly everywhere. She didn't keep up with the flock. Normally we can't get within 4 feet of her without her moving and I just walked up to her and picked her up without even a fuss. I tried looking in her mouth and she fussed a little but didn't move or open her eyes.

She now has a rasp to her breathing.
2/18/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Brahma, please? Regretfully, her behavior can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues in chickens. They’re signs of “sick bird syndrome” - part of an array of highly nonspecific clinical signs. The rasp may or may not indicate respiratory compromise but if it indicates a respiratory infection you're restricted to injecting her in her breast muscle with over the counter tylosin in the form of Tylan-50 and dosed at 5 - 15 mg/lb of body weight once daily. Tylosin is the only over the counter antibiotic still allowed to be given to poultry.

An avian vet (www.aav.org) usually begins with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests, X-rays, and physical exams to differentiate one from another. Necropsy of a newly dead or a sacrificed severely ill bird then refrigerated (not frozen) can be an important diagnostic particularly in large flocks. With this in mind, your best course of action might be to reach out to your county-extension poultry personnel or avian-oriented veterinarian for help in that regard.

It's best to bring her inside as shown here: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/02/how-to-help-sick-chicken.html. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.