Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I uncovered the cage and one of my lovebirds was sitting on…

I uncovered the cage...

I uncovered the cage and one of my lovebirds was sitting on the bottom of the cage not moving and with her eyes half open and its claws lightly hooked into the bars, she doesnt respond and im worried shes dying

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your bird. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your bird?

The last few days their tail feathers have looked a little damaged on the ends i thought this might be from the bars as we recently changed their feed and water to self filling tubes but apart from that they have seemed normal until today

Could it be because it was unusually cold last night? Also neither bird seems to like any of the fruit or veg i've given them previously, they mostly just eat small parrot seed mix! I know lovebirds are meant to eat fruit and veg but they hardly touch it!
The lovebird has passed away, please still respond as im afraid my other bird will also be effected and need to know my best options!
2/15/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. My condolences for your loss. Regretfully, without a necropsy we can't know if your other bird has been exposed to something contagious. You're correct to suspect diet, however, as nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. Seeds should compose less than 20% of the diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat. it can be difficult transitioning a "seed junky" to a pelleted diet. Here's one way in which that can be accomplished: http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/small-bird-conversion/

Chilling can be lethal but I would be surprised if it became lethally cold inside your home. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thankyou for your response, i'll be in contact with further developments!

You're quite welcome. Please note that a carcass needs to be refrigerated (not frozen) for a necropsy to be performed. Any vet can submit a carcass to their reference lab for necropsy or you might have a veterinary teaching hospital pathology service available to you.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian