Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I have a male budgie who is approximately 1 and a half years…

I have a male budgie...
I have a male budgie who is approximately 1 and a half years old. Almost 100% sure he’s a male given his purple beak as a baby turned blue. He also can talk and knows over 100 words (females can’t talk as well). However, this last week his cere turned brown. (Not crusty just smooth, and there’s still blue you can see underneath). He’s still chatty eating, lively playing etc. No signs of sickness.
Very worried that this brown beak could be a tumor. But given his age and liveliness I have reason to believe.
I recently brought home another male budgie and they fight all the time. Well the other male budgie is actually a bully and is very controlling. I’ve read about a case that a male budgie changes his beak color to brown to show the other bird he’s not a threat. Is this possible? Any other possibilities? I’m taking him to the vet but can’t make it for a few days is that ok?
2/14/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet etch for 35+ years.

I am afraid I have to agree with the people in the parrot forum. a Male Parakeet will always be blue and never brown. A Female will have a white with a tinge of blue or pink and then eventually turn to brown. You may be having issues with the new Bird because they were not properly introduced. You need to put the two cages next to each other touching and allow them to socialize through the bars for at least 30 days so they can bond. Putting a new Bird in with the Bird that has been there will cause problems.

I suggest so there is no injuries, that you us two cages to help them bond and have the Once whose cere changed seen by the Avian Vet for confirmation on Sex.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

are you saying the brown color is due to him being bullied by other budgie?Or because it’s actually a female? Or would you be concerned of a tumor ?

I want to add some information I have gotten from another Expert who is a Biologist. Male Cere changes can be caused by a testicular tumor, but there can be other causes of hormone balances. Budgies are known for getting lots of tumors due to poor breeding practices, even at a young age.

I am hoping that I am right, but do want you to have this information as well.

The bullying is a possibility or as I just posted, it could be hormonal and could be serious if it is.

Joan

The more information the better. I am still not quite sure what you are suggesting.

What I am saying is two fold to stop the bullying and get them to bond you will need to do that gradually by using two cages side by side so the birds can see each other without the bullying.

The issue with the Blue Cere going brown has a good possibility of he is a Male but has a Hormonal issue or a Testicular tumor which both can cause a Male Parakeet to look like a female with a brown cere, but actually be a male. The Cere change may be due to a testicualr tumor or a Hormone imbalance in the body. The Avian Vet visit should be as soon as possible.

Joan

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'll follow up for Joan for you. The only reason for a blue cere to turn brown is a sertoli cell tumor in the testicle which is secreting estrogenic hormones. Treatment with surgery may be successful in selected cases. Some birds will respond (in the short term) to GnRH agonists such as leuprolide or deslorelin. Your vet can X-ray Shlomo to see if his testicle is distorted by tumor. (No, a male budgie is unable to change his cere color as a response to another bird.) Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thanks Michael for the clear response. This is very sad news. Any way of telling if it is benign or cancerous? If the tumor is benign how will this effect his health? How long can he live for

Sertoli cell tumors can be either benign or malignant but metastasis is rare. The prognosis following testicular removal is excellent but you'll need a talented avian vet (www.aav.org) to perform such a delicate surgery. In either case these tumors can enlarge to the point where they interfere with other organs and at that point organ failure arises. Watch for abdominal distention which is a grave sign indicating having the final kindness performed. Regretfully, I can't know how quickly this will occur but its reasonable to assume that a malignant tumor will more quickly affect Shlomo - perhaps in a matter of months. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian