Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My male Syrian hamster started Losing weight a month ago and…

Hi, my male Syrian...

Hi, my male Syrian hamster started Losing weight a month ago and now, what used to be a pleasantly plump hamster, is completely emaciated with every bone poking through. He weighs 75g, and seems lethargic as I rarely see him doing anything else but sleeping. Is it just his time or could this be a parasite? All urine and feces are normal, as is his temperament.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Syrian hamster. What is the Syrian hamster's name and age?

Clyde, and he's about a year and a half old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Clyde?

1 1/2 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Clyde?

He is severely under weight

2/11/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Can you share video of Clyde at this time? Are you seeing any other symptoms such as avoidance of eating, coughing, sneezing, etc?

I'm at work at the moment but I'll be home in half an hour, and no he's completely normal otherwise
Is it necessary that I call you or can I spare the expense?

It's not necessary. The website offers call to help connect customers with their expert. I'll be standing by for video. Send at your convenience.

It won't let me, is there anitrher way I can contact you?

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

https://youtu.be/Z56k6wiPjkU
The moment I put him back in his cage he fell over and tumbled around until stopping and justy falling asleep standing up

Clyde looks like he's active and in good spirits, but I cannot tell you that there is not an underlying condition present. Typically we do not see major weight loss from parasites in an adult hamster unless it's newly acquired. Those which we normally see, such as pin worms, can occur without weight loss at all. What I am more suspicious of are other conditions which can cause weight loss without appetite loss, such as cancer. Clyde is 1.5 by your report and we typically see a life expectancy around the age of 2 in Syrian hamsters, so he may also be reaching his normal life expectancy.

I do think it would be wise for Clyde to receive an examination by a veterinarian that offers services to small animals. If you need help finding one in your area, please let me know. I'll need your city and your state. At home, I would recommend offering Clyde more fresh foods to encourage keeping his appetite up, such as pureed baby foods, fresh fruits and veggies and also using critical care: http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/our-products/professional-line/critical-care/

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I redid my estimate of his age and he's more like 1 year and 9 months to 2 years old

Were you able to see my reply above?

Oh, now I did, I'll do that, thank you ^^

You're welcome. The closer to the 2 year mark that your companion is, the higher the risk that this may be a condition linked with aging.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I'd assume it's age, since it's been a steady decline over an extended period of time, thank you anyways, ill make sure to give you five stars, thank you again.
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse