Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Charlie is a 14 year old mix. Tonight after l brushed him, l…

Charlie is a 14...

Charlie is a 14 year old ***** ***** mix. Tonight after l brushed him, l saw what looked to be a loose clump of fur. It came out with a gentle tug. I was able to repeat this several times on his left flank, where it seems to be most prevalent. He has benign doggie warts too. We live in Northern Minnesota - just moved from California

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Losing clumps of hair on his left flank. Otherwise he's healthy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He doesn't hurt at all.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Charlie.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?

Senile doggie warts - benign - and past broken leg and ACL reconstruction.

2/11/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry to hear about Charlie. I am working on a response and will be back shortly. Do you have any pictures?
I grew up in Minnesota and understand what the weather is like this time of year. And I lived in California for 7 years until recently when I moved to Oregon. One thing to take into consideration is the change in environment moving from California to Minnesota. The weather is extremely cold and dry It could definitely be affecting his skin and coat. The most important thing is monitoring for any obvious skin diseases such as scabs, papules, pustules ;things that resemble infection. The other thing that's important is monitoring for itchy skin. Dogs can develop itchy skin both from allergies and just from being dry. From your description I'm thinking it's probably nothing to be severely concerned about, but I would certainly monitor this closely and make sure that it doesn't get a lot worse all over his body. Sometimes it can be very beneficial to implement a fish oil supplement to help moisturize the skin and the cold. It certainly can take some time for this to build up in the system. If you provide me with his weight I can give you an estimated milligram amount to give him. Cute little guy! A little tough to determine from this photo but is it area that you are talking about on that Left Flank on the lateral surface?
Just looking at that picture he overall looks very healthy and doesn't look to have any severe skin disease to me. Obviously it is very different looking at a photo versus being able to get your hands on a pet and really examine the skin and the coat. I would suggest implementing the fish oil supplement and potentially a conditioner after bathing. Not sure how frequently you bathe him but implementing a conditioner may help to moisturize his skin and coat especially during the winter months.
If it is predominantly localized to that area there's always the possibility that he could have scraped it on something or irritated it in some way as well to make the fur come out. I think monitoring is the best bet at this point and if things get significantly worse then definitely consider taking him in for an exam just to ensure that there's nothing more significant going on especially because of his age.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I am very happy to help. Oh and based on his size you could give him 500 to 1000 mg of fish oils daily. You can just use a human product or you can get a canine product at a pet store. The human product would be just fine though. If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5-star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week so please keep me posted. Sincerely ***** *****
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Veterinarian
Charlie weighs 10 pounds . The left flank (showing in the photo) is the area that seems to be affected
Thank you Dr. Nicole. I will monitor Charlie for a week and we can talk then.