Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I am researching the most humane way to euthanize a chicken.

I am researching the...

I am researching the most humane way to euthanize a chicken. I have read that decapitation is considered humane because it is so quick, but I cannot bear the thought of any of my beloved pet chickens being awake during this. We would not eat our birds, in which case, are there any sedatives that can be given to them so they are asleep when decapitation occurs? Benadryl perhaps?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name and age?

This is just a general question. All of my birds are currently healthy, thankfully.

2/10/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. There is nothing oral that I am aware of that can be given to sedate chickens. I recommend finding a veterinarian that does house calls to give injectable sedation followed by euthanasia solution. That would be the most humane way to euthanize.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian
Thank you. If one does not have access to a vet or cannot afford the fee, what do you consider the most humane way to euthanize at home?