Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I came home and I saw what looked like a dead rat not the…

Hi I came home...

Hi I came home and I saw what looked like a dead rat not the whole thing but some remains. I’m scared that my puppy has gotten to it. What should I do? She’s completely vaccinated and she is acting normal

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your puppy?

Nothing out of the ordinary but I’m worried if she ate the rat, can she get sick??

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if your puppy will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your puppy?

No that’s it. Unfortunately my own vet is closed for the day.

1/22/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Veterinarian
Hello, I'm dr Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question.I am sorry to hear about your puppy. I am working on a response I will be back shortly.
I completely understand your concern and your worry. However if there wasn't any rat poison involved, then your puppy should be just fine. There is always the chance of a little gastrointestinal disease or stomach upset from eating something different than the usual diet. But if there was no rat poison involved then she should be just fine. How is she acting right now?
She’s acting normal. Playing. I don’t think there was Rat poison involved. And the rat may have been dead already. I wasn’t home when this happened. We have dog walkers and they may have missed her picking it up.
My concern is whether she needs prophylactic medications. She won’t get heart worms or some other bacterial infection?
No she doesn't need any other medication. Like I said just monitor her for stomach upset and diarrhea. No she will not get heartworms and the chance of any other type of infection is significantly low.
I hope that helps. Please keep me posted. If you have any other questions please let me know. If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5-star rating is greatly appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week so keep me posted on how she's doing. If you notice that she presents with vomiting and diarrhea please let me know and I can get you some doses of certain drugs for those conditions. Sincerely ***** *****
Any other questions or concerns?
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Veterinarian
Okay. If she gets sick, does she need to be separated from my other 2 dogs? Also should I still take her to vet tomorrow?
No she does not need to be separated from your other dogs. And whether or not you take her in depends on how she's doing. So she's doing fine with no vomiting and diarrhea then you don't have to take her in. I would keep your appointment though and see how things are going tonight and you can always cancel in the morning. Better to play it safe.
Okay thank you so much!!
I will check in with you later as well.