Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I have a Betta fish & he hasn't eaten in 6 days & all he…

Hi!! I have a...

Hi!! I have a Betta fish & he hasn't eaten in 6 days & all he does is sit in various spots on the bottom of the fish tank. He doesn't look sick but I am very worried. His tank has a heater & a filter & I do partial water changes every week!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the fish will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the fish?

I don't think so..

1/22/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have kept fish for over 40 years.

Can you tell me if it is a ne tank?

When doing water changes how much water do you change?

Have you checked the water parameters?

Joan

It is a new tank. I go him about a month ago. I do about a 25% water change & no I haven't checked the water parameters. I didn't realize I had to:(
I'm just about to leave for work. Thank you though. I test his water every other day for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite etc...& noticed yesterday that his water is a little hard. I added a water softener but he is still acting the same way.

I suspect that your ammonia may be off. The strip test kits are usually off. The Higher ammonia would account for the fish laying on the bottom of the tank.

I suggest an API master test kit. I would do a 25% water change and if you have not done so add one teaspoon full of Aquarium salt per gallon of water. This will act as a tonic. It is antibacterial, antifungal and antiparasitic.

I believe with a partial water change and adding the Aquarium salt you should see a difference in the fish.

Pease hit reply to discuss this information. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Oh wow. I never even thought of that. I will do exactly that as soon as I get home! Hopefully he can hang on for the rest of the day. I cannot thank you enough for your help!!!

It is a fairly new tank and will go through new tank syndrome. Please take a moment to rate my servuie 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I have a positive rating.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Ok will do!! Thanks again Joan!!!