Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My goldfish is laying on the bottom of the tank, Smiley and…

My goldfish is laying...

My goldfish is laying on the bottom of the tank

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your goldfish. What is the goldfish's name and age?

Smiley and about 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Smiley?

It stated a week ago kinda floating in a u shape and the last 3 days !sting sideways on the bottom, rest fish in tank are fine

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Still waiting on an answer so hope to get some help
1/21/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with fish over 45 years.

Can you tell me tank size?

Do you have filtration?

Any bloating of the abdomen?

Any pinconeing on his scales?

Have you teseted the water Parameters?

What type of test kit was used?

Joan

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
30 gallon, has filtration, it's a new tank and water with water treatment last Sunday and he was a little bent on a u shape when I moved him he a pretty big gold fish from head to tail approx 8 inches Longmont counting tail fin..have not done a test
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
There is another goldfish about same size and is fine
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Stomach is bloated

I suspect since it is a new tank it is going through New Tank syndrome which means your Water parameters are off/ This has caused swim bladder in the fish.

First thing you need to get a test kit to test the water. Ammonia needs to be 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 20ppm or less and Ph 7.0. I suggest an API Master test kit.

Until you get a Test kit we need to do a partial water change of 35%.

When adding water back you will need to add some Aquarium salt at 1 . teapoon full of Aquarium salt per gallon of water. THis should help with the swim bladder. After this you will need to test the water and if the water parameters are off then you will need to do 25% water changes,. When you do these you will only replace enough Aquarium salt equal to the water removed.

This should help the fish and resolve the swim bladder.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. If I have addressed your concerns, Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I get a positve rating. You can come back to disuss this as a follow up even if I have been rated.

Joan

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Do I need to put her in a tank by herself, or our my other safe from the salt

You can leave them in the both in the same tank. The salt is a tonic for the fish. The Salt is anti bacterial , antifungal and antparasitic and will not hurt the other fish.

Joan

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
One more question, I read not to feed for 3 days and Then feed a pea ? Do I not feed feed all for 3 days and Then just drop (can) peas in the tank?

I would wait at least two days and you can take a frozen green pea and crush into small pieces and feed a little at a time. When feeding any flake foods it is best to moisten them when feeding as well.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you so very much, I am going g to try all your suggestion, I pray i don't loose my baby
Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician