Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My pet rat is over weight and I have had to help him clean…

My pet rat is...

My pet rat is over weight and I have had to help him clean that area. Usually, just a little white plug comes out. Yesterday, the plug came out, but so did quite a bit of urine. He now has a bruised lump near his urethra that is t

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the rat's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he's 2yo. I have a great vet, but I have to go out of town for my grandma's funeral and won't have time to take him in. I just need to know if this is an emergency or if he may be ok for a week.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Eliot?

2 years.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Eliot?

He's overwight.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/21/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

Picture 53 arrived and no others.

What this looks like to me is some trauma above the penis. This might be self-induced as many rats who have urinary plug are suffering from urinary complications such as UTIs or crystalline deposits in the bladder. This can lead to a urinary blockage. If he's urinating freely without any assistance this may not need any care aside from monitoring. I would also soak the area daily in a mild soap and water to help keep it clean. If you notice pus, a course of antibiotics will be needed following a veterinary visit. If the urinary plugs persist and he cannot urinate on his own this is an emergency and he needs to see a vet. The best I can tell from the photo is that there may be some bruising associated with the scabbing and I am concerned that an infection may be building under the skin, so a trip to the vet may be inevitable over the next few days. If you are uncertain, contact your vet but see if they can keep Eliot for boarding for a few days while you're away. They will not only be able to address these concerns you've raised but also medicate and watch for any other concerns to arise.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy