Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

Mature koi dying. ResearChing, research and symptoms

Mature koi dying. ResearChing ...

Mature koi dying. ResearChing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Koi?

Research and symptoms indicate possible parasites from new baby koi added. One by one they are dying, isolating themselves and lethargic. Have lots of plants so salt will kill them all. Any other solutions?

1/21/2018
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with this problem. Before we can figure out a solution, we need to determine exactly what is going on. Very few parasites will kill so quickly and so many. Most parasites produce symptoms other Han koi isolating themselves and becoming lethargic. Some additional information may shed some more light on it.Have the fish been rubbing on objects in the pond or repeatedly jumping out if the water?Are there any skin lesions?Do the gills becone inflamed?Are the new young fish also dying?How long ago were the new fish added? How long ago did the dying begin?Have you tested the water? If so, what numbers did you get in parts per million, for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Anna,
They are not dying all at once, but slowly one by one over 2-3 months. One jumped out of pond, the others (bigger, older koi) just became less active and isolating themselves. Thought at first it was water quality issues, but all is fine - pH (7.4), ammonia (0) NO2 (0)/NO3 (0). Finally realized all started around time we got a new baby koi. Not sure about gills, did not check. Did not notice them rubbing against the rocks but hung out at filter or rock beds.
Thank you for getting back to me, and for clarifying on how the fish are dying. I'm glad to hear your water is good. It's always important to rule that out first. I'm working on some information for you to consider, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I am not a fast typist, so I appreciate your patience.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Aok
Thank you for waiting. Praziquantel is a plant-safe treatment for both internal and external parasites. It is also gentle on fish, and won't destroy the bacteria in the filter media and the rocks. You will, however, have to turn off the filter during treatment so the praziquantel is not filtered out. If there is a pond store in your area, you may be able to buy it there. Pet stores sell it, but probably not in the quantity you need for a pond. If you can't find it locally, here is a reputable online source:https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12098Many pond keepers routinely treat with praziquantel both spring and fall to head off any parasite problems. It is among the safest of chemicals you can add to a pond. Since you do suspect parasites, I recommend that as your first step.
Gill flukes are one of the parasites that can kill fish. Treating them requires a second dose of praziquantel - usually 4 or 5 days after the first one- but the bottle will have instructions for you.If treating for parasites doesn't solve the problem, we would need to look at other possibilities. Bacterial and fungal infections most often cause visible symptoms, such as lesions, fluffy growths on the skin, or cloudy eyes. If you ultimately need to try treatment for these types of infection, a combination of MelaFix and PimaFix usually works well. They are safe to use together, and are harmless to both plants and the filter. If you need a source, the one I gave you for praziquantel also sells these medications.I'll give you this much, and then I'll be back with one more consideration.

Introducing new koi to a pond has been increasingly associated with introducing viral diseases. Koi herpes virus (KHV) and spring viremia have both become common. Because they are viral, there is no treatment. These diseases usually kill more quickly than what you are seeing, but we can't completely rule them out. I doubt that is what is killing your fish, but I want to mention it just in case. The viruses don't spread as fast during the winter months. If none of the medications seem to help, and deaths quickly increase as the water warms in the spring, then you would have to consider this possibility. But I wouldn't worry about it at this point. The other possibilities are much more likely.

If you have more concerns, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I hope the praziquantel will solve the problem.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist