Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My labs eyes are swollen and her ear flaps are also swollen.

My labs eyes are...

My labs eyes are swollen and her ear flaps are also swollen

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Boomer and she is 13

1/21/2018
Drhollowayvet

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I have been practicing for the past 6+ years and can offer my help with your pet concerns. Please give me one moment to type up my response and I will be right with you.

- Dr. H

I understand your pet Boomer has swollen eyes and ear flaps. Oh my. Do yo have a picture to share with me here in the chat. It would help if I could see what you are seeing.

1) Also when did this start?

2) Does it seem to bother her?

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It started this morning and yes it’s bothering her. She is rubbing her face and she is also licking a lot. I’m on my iPad if I take a picture of her I don’t know who for you to see it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It looks like the inside of the ear flap is starting to bleed

There should be a widget icon right above the chat box where you can post a picture of her with.

- Dr. H

Oh no. That isn't good at all. : (

It sounds like she is having an acute allergic reaction to something.

But she shouldnt be bleeding.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m computer stupid don’t know what a widget is. When I say bleeding like she’s rubbed it raw

Oh ok I see. That isn't as severe as I was imagining it to be.

1) What color are her gums? Are they a nice pink salmon color or white?

2) Is she lethargic?

Ok. She may be having an allergic reaction to something she ate or came into contact with. Did she get anything unusual today?

You can try givine her some Benadryl to combat the allergic reaction. The dosage is 1 mg per 1 lb , so pretty simple. You can give Benadryl (just Diphenhydramine as the active ingredient) to her once every 12 hrs for the next 24 hrs to see if this makes a difference. If she is not better or if the swelling continues to spread, then its best to take her in to your local vet for a steroid shot to stop the reaction quickly. If you are overly concerned about her now and she seems unstable, then its best to take her in to the ER vet.

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pink and no she’s not really lethargic. I did give her Benadryl right before I contacted you and she’s to have clmed down
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing that I know of

Ok good. That sounds promising.

Very strange for her to be having a reaction and nothing has been out of sorts in the last 24 hrs. Continue to check your home, yard, etc for any potential culprits. You want to make sure whatever it is, that she doesn't get into it again.

And she hasn't had any medications? No over the counter pain meds or anything like that? Ibuprofen toxicity can cause symptoms like this to occur in dogs.

- Dr. H

Also Acetaminophen toxicity is know to do this as well. Both drug toxicities are considered serious and she should be seen immediately if that is a possibility.

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have steroid medicine from another dog we have. Should I give her those
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could it have been caused from a dead bird
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was brought into our house yesterday ����

Hmm. The dead bird is the possible culprit, especially if it had something in its stomach. The steroid may be helpful, but you must make sure your pet does not have a fever (hence underlying infection). I would highly recommend getting a rectal temperature before giving any steroids.

The dosage for steroids is 0.25mg/kg. 1 kg= 2.2lbs to help with your calculation. This dosage can be given once every 12 hrs.

- Dr. H

Drhollowayvet

Is there anything else I can assist you with today concerning your pet Boomer?

*Please don't forget to leave me a rating for the service I have provided to you and your pet tonight as this is the only way I am compensated for assisting you this evening. Thank you so much for your feedback.*

Best regards,

- Dr. H

Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet