Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

We brought home a shelter rescue on Saturday. He had tested…

We brought home a...

We brought home a shelter rescue on Saturday. He had tested positive for worms and been treated by the shelter. I took him to our vet on Monday to get checked out. He tested negative for worms in his fecal test. Tonight there were 1/4" long white worms in his stool. What should I do? Is this a risk to my two cats!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** the shelter estimated that he's approximately a year old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nash?

For the past two days he's been barking constantly and alternating that with scratching frantically at his ears. (Our vet said he does not have ear mites.)

1/19/2018
Drhollowayvet

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian who has been practicing for more than 6 years. I understand your pet Nash has worms in his stool. Fecal exams can come up falsely negative if the stool sample size was small or if the worm is too big (only seen in cases of Tapeworms). Worms are only infective if your cats were to eat his feces. Do you have a picture of the worm to show me here in the chat?

If not, does the worm look like little fried rice or white rice?

- Dr. H

It was a white color but thinner than a grain of regular rice.

Ok. That sounds like a tapeworm. These come from your pet ingesting a flea or eating another dogs poop that has tapeworms in it. Your cats should be fine as long as worms are not falling out of Nash's rectum without warning, and one of the cats eats it. They are only infective if they are alilve. Once the worms die (soon after exposure to air and no feeding ground), they are no longer infective.

Also tapeworms are often missed on fecal exams because they are too big and only shed in the stool periodically.

- Dr. H

do I need to take him back to my vet for medicine?

Yes. Or you can get tapeworm medicine often from your local pet store. But your vet has better, safer, and more tolerable medicine for tapeworms. You may even be able to just call them and pick up the medicine without having to make an appt. Tapeworms are treated by the active ingredient Praziquantel.

-Dr. H

Do you think that the frantic ear scratching is related to the worm infestation?

No I don't see how worms will cause any issue with his ears. I think he likely has an ear infection or possibly even allergies. You mentioned the vet said he doesn't have ear mites. Did the vet test his ears with an ear swab/cytology for a bacterial or yeast infection?

- Dr. H

No, she visually inspected his ears.

Ok. I would get a sample taken at a recheck to make sure there isn't something microscopically going on here. At the very least, a medicated ear cleaner can be tried to see if that makes a difference.

Ok. Thank you.

You are most welcome for the advice.

*Please take the time to leave me a rating for the service I have provided for you and your pet tonight. THis is the only way I am credited with assisting you tonight. Thank you so much for your feedback and have a wonderful rest of your night. Take care. *

- Dr. H

Drhollowayvet

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Drhollowayvet