Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I have seen a maggot looking worm in my conures bird bath…

I have seen a maggot...
I have seen a maggot looking worm in my conures bird bath but the water was clean. Now I saw a maggot looking worm on her play gym. Can flies lay eggs in her poop and later hatch? I clean all areas weekly. And they all get fresh water 2 times daily. Can my birds ingest worms from fresh fruit given to them? Concerned..
1/13/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Thank you for your kind reply

Flies most certainly can lay eggs in the fecal material that later become maggots. This typically takes place over a period of days, though, so if the gym is cleaned regularly you should not be seeing maggots. Birds can also ingest worms from fresh fruit, yes, but we don't usually see those in their stool. They're digested as we'd expect most food items to be ingested. Another potential is the presence of intestinal parasites, which can be diagnosed both visibly and by having a fecal analysis performed by your vet.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Ok I usually leave the fresh fruit for 24hrs before removal from the separate dish (inside only) but I read somewhere it should be removed in 2hrs...your recommendation of fresh fruit please...also my babies are very spoiled nearly spending all their time outside their cages..to include play gyms located in our garage/shop where I most always see flies in warm weather.
I’m a nurse too but for humans. Thank you for your service to animals
Ok got it outside play gym needs more than weekly cleaning...but what about inside fresh fruit remove how soon daily or in 2 hrs if not eaten??

Fresh fruit for 24 hours should be fine, so long as you aren't seeing any moldy growth, flies swarming, etc. If you see this, reduce the time to a point that your birds can enjoy the fruit without flies being involved. Make sure to clean all bowls at least once daily to prevent bacteria and flies.

Kiwi, Honey and Bugsy are adorable! I think you're doing a great thing giving them time to enjoy their play gym. Avians thrive on this type of stimulation!

Also, you're very welcome. I am happy to assist in any manner that I can.

All seed need be changed completely daily even if all seed not consumed? I wanna be the best bird mommy I can be

Seed should be fine so long as flies aren't bothering it. I should have clarified, I meant fruit bowls. Anything that might attract flies, basically.

Thank you yes our babies are so important to us all rescues of different ways lost and owner not found..to in pet store to long...and worst of all neglect to the point of loss of muscle mass with broken wing

They won the rescue lottery, so to speak!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you. You have been most helpful. I only wanna use you in the future. How can I ensure that only I talk with you? Plus you will get a 5 star rating from me thanks PitRottMommy...off topic but how that user name come about...example my email is***@******.*** was a variation of my real name fuel coming from a previous career in aviation specializing in fuel systems also my old email was fuelnurse...coming from same aviation background and that I am an RN...again thank you for your time...have a great evening
Tankscum being part of the fuel system
You deserve your review wholeheartedly)She was most helpful today by taking her time to ensure I understood completely and entirely before signing off or moving on to the next customer. She was both knowledgeable as well as personable. I have chosen to only converse with her in the future for my avian needs upon her availability . I am very pleased to have had the opportunity to encounter a person of such excellence and attention to detail.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

We have many experts who work with avians on the website, so don't be afraid to receive help from someone else if they step in to assist. Sometimes I might not be on and someone else will pop in to offer assistance.

My user name was formed about 10 years ago when I adopted a pitbull and Rottweiler around the same time frame.

I thank you very much for your outstanding review and appreciation for my help!

Very cool your welcome