Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

For past 24-48 hours, my daughter's hamster has clearly been…

Hi Pearl, for past...

Hi Pearl, for past 24-48 hours, my daughter's hamster has clearly been ill -- lethargic, not eating / playing / running on wheel, shallow breathing, snuffling sounds, damp tail. I've given him some water, and some milk & honey, which he drinks and then curls back into bed. Vet bills look steep & not guaranteed (stress would possibly worsen things, no?). He's a 1.5 year old Syrian (who lost a bit of hair on his hind flanks a while back, but has seemed healthy & happy until now). Any suggestions? (Cage is clean & room is warm).

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your daughter's hamster. What is the hamster's name?

Jellybean!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jellybean?

I fed him some black beans a few days ago, which I've since learned is a no-no. Maybe related?

1/10/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Are you seeing diarrhea?

Can you share video of what you're seeing with the breathing?

I don’t see any diarrhea but I’m not sure what that would look like. Tail is damp -and smells strongly. Drinks only when water or milk & honey mixture is offered.

I would highly recommend that you discontinue the milk promptly. The milk you're giving can cause diarrhea in small mammals and may be contributing to the dampness you're seeing. This very likely may actually be a condition called "wet tail" which denotes a bacterial infection and the respiratory symptoms you're seeing suggests an upper respiratory tract infection. I do think having your companion examined and treated would be wise. A course of antibiotics will likely help to treat both the URI symptoms and the suspect wet tail, as well. If you need help finding a veterinarian that can treat your companion, please let me know. If you must address this from home, I would urge you to switch to syringe feeding baby food or critical care as soon as possible: https://www.amazon.com/Oxbow-Critical-Banana-Supplement-1-Pound/dp/B005KSOIJG

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy