Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My tarantula is has a shrunken abdomen and is not moving…

My tarantula is has...

My tarantula is has a shrunken abdomen and is not moving plus its limp

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Is. How old is Is?

Less than a year

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Is?

She lost a leg 2 days ago

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/10/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How long have you had your tarantula?
2) How was the leg lost?
3) What genus/species is your companion?
4) Can you share pictures of what you're currently seeing?

Did the legs become stuck in the molt?

How long ago did the molt occur?

Is she moving at all?

the leg became stuck
2 days
no movement

Thank you. And did the legs require physical amputation or did the tarantula extricate herself on her own accord during the molt?

she did it herself
her cage was moist and i gave her food

Thank you.

Anytime we see difficult molts, particularly those that involve loss of legs, tarantulas can certainly pass away following full extrication from the molt (they can die within, as well). Since she is not moving, I am concerned that there is strong potential that she may have passed away. The best approach right now is going to be gently moving a shallow dish of water under her fangs. She breaths from a respiratory system under the abdomen, which will be far away from the water dish. Use something like a milk cap with water filled to the brim. If she is still alive, this will allow her to hydrate herself. If you are able to move her body without any response, there is strong potential she may have passed. In some cases, tarantulas do not go into "the death curl" commonly observed in spiders. This most often happens if they pass following a difficult molt. More often than not, it's not anything the keeper did that resulted in the difficult molt or passing of a tarantula.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse