Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My beta fish is not swimming or moving and struggling to…

My beta fish is...

My beta fish is not swimming or moving and struggling to breathe.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the fish?

He is only at the bottom of the tank not moving, what is wrong

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the fish. What is the fish's name and age?

His fins are closed and he swims with the small front fins. His name is ***** ***** he is 10 months old I think.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nemo?

He did not go up to the top to eat his food. Is he sick? Is the water too cold?

1/10/2018
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I'm sorry to hear that Nemo is not well. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.What is the water temperature?Have you tested the water? If so, what numbers did you get in parts per million (ppm) for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?How big is the tank?Is there a filter in it?Thank you.
The water is warm. I do not have a water thermometer. The tank is 5 L. I did not test the water. Yes, there is a filter.

Thank you for getting back to me. Without knowing the temperature I can't tell you if Nemo is cold. Even if you have a cooking/candy thermometer, you can use that. The water needs to be 78*F to 82*F.

I'll give you something to try. Turn off the filter. Wait a few minutes and see if there is any change in Nemo. Let me know, and we'll proceed from there.

Thank you for the advice.

You're welcome. Bettas do not like circulating water, and will often hide when a filter is used. In nature, they live in very shallow, small pools that are still. In captivity, we keep them in small containers that we can easily change the water from. Frequent water changes take the place of filtration in keeping the water quality up.

If turning off the filter doesn't help, the next step is to change about half of the water in his tank. Replace it with conditioned water, or better yet, bottled spring water. Then add one gram of aquarium salt per liter of water. Pet stores sell the salt. It can help with minor illnesses and stress.

If none of these things help, please let me know, and we'll do some more detective work.

Anna

Hello again,Have any of the changes helped Nemo, or is he still the same?
Nemo is the same, He is still at the bottom of the tank not moving.
Thank you. The next step has to be testing the water. Most pet stores will do it free if you take a sample of the water to them in a clean glass jar. It would be better yet if you could buy an API Master Test Kit, so you can test at home, more than once. Either way, we need results for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates in parts per million ( ppm).I'll watch for your results.
My fish has bubbles around the gills, and is struggling to breathe and is at the bottom of the tank not moving.
Those can all be signs of a problem with the water. Please tell me what steps you have already taken : a water change, salt, testing the water, etc.At this point, the situation is critical. Buy some bottled spring water, enough to fill your tank. Make sure it is at room temperature. Then empty the tank, and fill it with the clean spring water.
The water was tested. Everything ok. I changed the water to warmer water. The Expert at the aquarium store gave me a liquid to give to the fish because he has fungus. I must give this everyday.
Thank you for the update. Didvthevexpert at the pet store actually see Nemo? I'm concerned because the symptoms you have described - struggling to breathe, staying at the bottom, and appetite loss - don't indicate fungus. With fungus, we'll see fluffy growths on the fish, or fins rotting away, or other skin/scale symptoms. But if the person actually saw Nemo, they may have noticed something that wasn't mentioned here.I would be careful with temperature changes in the water. It's best to heat it with a mini heater made for betta tanks to a consistent 78*F to 82*F. Just adding warm water can result in a sudden temp change and shock the fish.Regardless, I hope the medication will help Nemo.
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Thank you for all your advice.

You're very welcome. I'm hoping for the best for Nemo.