Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I found her sitting at bottom of cage so had eggs in nest…

I found her sitting...

I found her sitting at bottom of cage so had eggs in nest possible egg bound how do I help her at home

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Budgie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the animal?

My budgie has been laying eggs this morning I found her at the bottom of her cage possibly egg bound

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the animal. What is the's name and age?

Of the bird? Sweety 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

Sweety

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sweety?

Fluffed up, shaking, feels cool to touch, vent looks big

1/9/2018
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping birds. I'm sorry to hear of Sweety's problem.

I can give you some things to try for egg binding, but, unfortunately, home remedies seldom work. That's why egg binding is considered an emergency. If at all possible, it would be best to see a vet. This link has lists that can help you find one:

http://www.avianweb.com/recommendedvets.htm

If you absolutely can't get to a vet right away, there are a few things you can try, but success is iffy. If the egg is just inside the vent, you can put a little cooking oil or mineral oil in the vent. This won't do any good if the egg is further up. Do not try to break the egg or pull it out - this can do even more harm.

Give her some water with a little sugar or Karo syrup in it. That will help keep her energy up. Being egg bound is exhausting. You can just syringe it onto the bottom of her mouth.

You can run a hot shower in your bathroom until the room is warm and humid (85 to 90 degrees). Gently (so as not to accidentally break the egg) put her in a small box or cage and take her to the warm room. Watch her closely to make sure she doesn't overheat.Sometimes the warmth and humidity may help her pass the egg. Here is a site with detailed information on egg binding. It applies to all birds, not just cockatiels.

http://www.cockatielcottage.net/binding.html

If you have more concerns, just let me know. I hope Sweety will be able to pass her egg.

Anna

She was egg bound the egg is now out, and she is resting now my other problems is she also has eggs that are fertile what do I do with them or will the male look after them?
I'm glad to hear she passed the egg. What is the reason she can't be in with the eggs? They usually don't start sitting on them until all are laid. The male's job is to feed the female while she sits on the eggs. Once in awhile, a male will take over the eggs, but it's not likely.If she is strong enough to go in with them by tomorrow morning, that would be soon enough. The only other option is to buy an incubator. I can find you a source, but by the time you ordered and gift it delivered and set up, it may be too late.Let me know what Sweety's condition is, and what you want to do.
I gave her some suger water she seems to be a little tired I put her back in with her partner and 3 babies and eggs he and the 3 fledglings has been feeding her but needs a little help getting to the nest box as don’t have full strength to fly yet but she is feeling warmer should I leave her at the bottom of the cage as I put in a ladder or should I put her up to the nest box and see if she will go in
Put her up by the best box and see how she reacts. If she doesn't want to go in, let her stay on the bottom, and try again in the morning.Being depleted in calcium increases the chances of egg binding, and she has been laying a lot of eggs lately. Make sure she has both a cuttlebone and a mineral block.I hope everything will be ok.
She does have both cuttlebones and mineral blocks
She is back in the nest now so will see how we go
That sounds like everything is under control for now. I wish you success in raising a new clutch.
Thank you for your help I will keep an eye on her overnight as she now keeps looking for me and tweets when she can’t see me which she has never done before I just don’t want her to stress
You're very welcome. She probably feels dependent on you because of what she just went through. You're wise to keep an eye on her.
I grew up in a wildlife shelter it natural to keep an eye on them
that makes a lot of sense.
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
She is now out of the nest box and sitting on the perch back to normal again thanks heaps
You're welcome. That is wonderful news. I hope the whole little family will thrive.