Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Shes about 4.5 yrs slowed down about 3 wks ago started

Customer Question
Shes about 4.5 yrs...

Shes about 4.5 yrs slowed down about 3 wks ago started eating again but feel like skin anf bone has trouble climbing levels in cage

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Im sorry a ferrett

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes a ferrett she is a pet not wild

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the ferret's name?

Aroara

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Aroara?

She just curls up in arms and goes to sleep

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pet
1/8/2018
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years with interest in exotics.

When a ferret is thin and seems weak, we need to look at the possibility of parasites or Insulinoma.

In a case like this a ferret Savy Vet should be seen for a fecal check and blood work to include a Serum Glucose level check to determine if Insulinoma is a problem. This is a common problem in ferrets and this is the age we usually see this problem. THis is a great article on Insulinoma and explains about diagnosis, and treatments: http://www.2ndchance.info/insulinoma.htm

Please hit reply to discuss this information and your concerns.

Joan