Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

We gave our dog an anti inflammatory two days ago for a

Customer Question
We gave our dog...

We gave our dog an anti inflammatory two days ago for a twisted ankle but she's been vommiting ever since. Mostly food she ate yesterday and this morning it was like ground beef/coffee grounds. We also switched her food and are worried that might me it. She seems fine otherwise and our other dog is ok. Do we need to take her to the er or fast then rice diet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

That's it I believe

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Pet
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2018
Pet Specialist: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What anti-inflammatory did you give her?

How often is she vomiting?

Is she eating at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We have her naproxen 500 mg and she hasn't been eating but we changed her food and sometimes she's quite picky. She ate some French fries yesterday but puked them back up within the hour. Last night she puked once and it was coffee ground colour and ground beef consistency

Thanks for the information. Naproxen is a big "no no" for dogs. It has a high propensity for damaging the kidneys and causing stomach ulcers. The only human OTC pain medication you can give to dogs that is somewhat safe is enteric coated aspirin. Even then, it can cause some problems. If you are seeing anything that looks like coffee grounds in the vomit, that is digested blood. Chances are it will start to come out in her stool as well. I would get her to the ER vet to get blood work done, started on intravenous fluids, anti-nausea medications and stomach protectants. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating at no additional charge. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can we give her peptobismal?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can we wait to take her to her vet or is the er a must

Peptobismol has an aspirin derivative in it. With any kind of gastrointestinal bleeding, it is not recommended to give Pepto. Given the current symptoms, I would get her into the ER vet today. Is it possible that she will be okay until tomorrow? Yes, but she may also get much worse, so I wouldn't chance it. Please let me know if you have other concerns.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your dog is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian