Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I have a hedgehog and need help. I took him to the vet about…

Customer Question
Hello I have a...

Hello I have a hedgehog and need help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the hedgehog?

I took him to the vet about a month ago because he had been sneezing a lot

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the hedgehog's name and age?

They prescribed antibiotics and he took them orally for ten days but it’s been three weeks and I feel he’s gotten worse

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the hedgehog's name?

Twiggy and he’s two years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Twiggy?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: What else should I tell the Veterinarian?

I was trimming his nails tonight and he had some white gunk on his tummy/neck area

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Pet
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/7/2018
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 6 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years with special interest in Exotics.

What Antibiotic did Twiggy get?

What type of bedding do you use?

Have you used any new air fresheners in the house or new colonges?

Joan

No new air fresheners or anything like that. The vet said he had a respiratory infection and gave him Enrofloxacan. We’ve had him for a little over a year and we’ve always used fleece bedding. We don’t use any detergent when washing his bedding which we change weekly
When we first took him to the vet it was because he had been sneezing pretty much constantly. After the 10 days of antibiotics he seemed to be doing better but then over the past couple of weeks he now wheeze/whistles when he breathes and his breathing is regular but sounds kind of ragged.

From what you are describing, it sounds like this is a full blown respiratory infection leading to Pneumonia or could be a sign of Lungworm. II would have him back in and have them do a Chest Xray some blood work to be sure of what is going on and they can get to the bottom of the problem. As far as the white .you had seen on his abdomen and neck was most like from him masturbating. Hedgehogs when they reach maturity will do that.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. I am here to help

Joan