Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My French lop rabbit was fine yesterday, this morning she…

Customer Question
My French lop rabbit was...
My French lop rabbit was fine yesterday, this morning she was breathing heavily and acting drunk and disoriented she was eating critical care from the syringe and swallowing water from the syringe and then she started to have fits and she died all before we had a chance to take her to the vet
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Pet
1/4/2018
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 6 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you. I am sorry for the loss. This is possibly a protozoan parasite called Encephalitozoon cuniculi or short name is***** can cause the symptoms you have described. This would cause the Vestibular issues or the Drunk walking and the seizures. It kills rapidly.

This is some information about this parasite. https://www.petcha.com/signs-and-diagnosis-of-e-cuniculi-in-rabbits/

Please hit reply to discuss this information. My condolences on the loss.

Joan