Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I have a 10 year old dutch rabbit that has been diagnosed…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a 10...
Hello, I have a 10 year old dutch rabbit that has been diagnosed with a probable pasteurella infection. Our vet has not performed a culture and has not taken x-rays to rule out teeth root issues. Our rabbit sneezes in long spirts and clears white sticky discharge from her nose. Our vetinarian sais that she has the infection in her lungs and by sneezing, she is trying to clear the sticky infection. The vet has said that she will need to be on antibiotics for the rest of her life. She was placed on Batryl for a month and a half but due to the expense of the drug, we are trying bactrim. she has been on bactrim for almost a month but not consistenty because after force feeding her the medication, she acts like she feels aweful. she is also on metacam for arthritis. I have ordered benebac to try to help her gurgling stomach and decreased stool output. She is still eating well. Batryl works better but will be very expensive to maintain. Any suggestions where I can get cheaper Batryl or how else I can help our rabbit tolerate bactrim better? I am occasionally giving her metocloprimide to help keep her gut moving. Any information would be helpful.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pet
12/30/2017
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 7 months ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. Do you still need help? If so, please let me know what you're paying for Baytril now.Thank you.
Hi Anna, Our vet is giving us a 50% discount for now and we are paying $252.00 per month. Any thoughts as to our rabbit's condition?
Thank you for getting back to me. In orde veto know if I can find it cheaper, I need to know more about the Baytril. Is it liquid? If so, how many mls does she get per day?As for her condition, she is quite elderly, and this may be age- related. There are many possible causes besides pasteurella, but further testing would need to be done. However, if her symptoms have gotten better on the antibiotics, then the vet was probably right.I'll watch for your dosing information on the Baytril.
Dosing is 0.45ml of 100mg/ml suspension every 12 hours. Will our rabbit truly have to be on antibiotics for the rest of her life?
She does not seem to be making any other significant noises except the sneezing and does not seem to be having issues breathing. Could this still be an acute infection instead of a chronic one?
The sneezing has gotten better as far as the length of sneezing episodes but the episodes are still happening pretty frequently. How much benebac should I give her and how often would you recommend?
Thank you. You can get 100mls of Baytril online for $69. It is listed fir farm animals, but is the same 100mg/ml suspension. You do have to have a prescription, but this company will call your vet to get one:https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e079f2-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5I'll be right back with more.
I would give the BeneBac every day. It is only probiotics,mso you can't overdose. When I use it, I give about a one inch long strip. My rabbits will lick it off a front paw, making it easy to administer.Almost anything is possible in terms of the infection. It could be acute. Vets don't usually diagnose chronic until the infection comes back after treatment. The symptoms could also be due to something( like a piece of hay) lodged in the nasal passage, polyps, dental problems, or even a tumor. There is no way to know without further testing.If this were my rabbit, I would get a second opinion, and ask questions about all possibilities ble diagnoses.I'll find you a directory of rabbit vets tgat may help you find one nearby.
Here is a state-by-state directory of rabbit vets:http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
If you need anything else, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I hope it will turn out your rabbit doesn't have a chronic infection.Anna
Anna, the baytril link is for injections. Can to same injectable formulation be given orally?
People do give it orally, but it supposedly tastes awful and can sometimes cause sores in the mouth. Here is a source for the oral formula:http://mydoghasfleas.xyz/inc/sdetail/baytril_generic__enrofloxacin__oral_liquid_30ml__100mg_ml_strength/475/139610It costs more, but is still much cheaper than through your vet.
Anna, the last link that you sent me shows a "Sorry, Vet Out of Business, Shopping Cart Disabled. We recommend trying DogAndCatPharm.com". I tried the recommended link and they do not sell the correct concentration in a liquid form.
I'm sorry for the delay - I logged off for the night at midnight, central time. That link worked for me just a few minutes before I posted it,so I don't know what happened. Strange. I'll look for more sources for you.
I've found lots of companies that sell liquid oral Baytril, but not in the same concentration you are using. Wedgewood Pet RX is a compounding pharmacy that can provide it in any concentration and even flavor it, but they don't list prices. You woukd need a prescription number from your vet, tell them exactly what you want, and they'll quote a price.https://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/items/enrofloxacin-oral-suspension.htmlThe problem is that when given orally, tablets or capsules are most often use. The liquids given to birds, hamsters, etc. are a different concentration. Lots of places sell those. The concentration you need is less common. I'll keep looking,
I've been researching Baytril use in rabbits, and Apparently, different concentrations are used in rabbits, but the dose changes with the concentration. Because this is a prescription drug, it is illegal to give online dosing instructions other than what your vet already gave you. That means a vet with whom you have a client relationship with could give you instructions to use one if the other concentrations. Here is an interesting forum on the subject where other rabbit owners discuss it:http://www.rabbitsonline.net/archive/index.php/t-85040.htmlI am still concerned about the instructions you were given to keep your rabbit on antibiotics permanently. Rabbits and antibiotics are not a good mix, and even the safest will cause gastrointestinal issues, and liver and kidney problems over time. As I said above, I would go to a different vet - one you are sure is rabbit savvy- for a second opinion and further testing.
Hi Amanda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hopperz. How is everything going?

Anna