Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

She has lost a lot of weight but she still eats and drink as…

Customer Question
She has lost a...

She has lost a lot of weight but she still eats and drink as she always did

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Rabbit

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the rabbit's name and age?

Harper and she's under a year I don't know her exact age

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Is it a kitten or an adult?

She's a rabbit

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the rabbit?

That's about it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pet
12/29/2017
Pet Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How old is she?

What breed of rabbit is Harper?

How long have you owned her?

Has she had any diagnostic care with her veterinarian for the weight loss?

She is under a year
She's a dwarf mix lop
I've had her for 3 months
She has never seen a vet this is the first issue I have had with her

It would be wise to schedule an examination to have diagnostics performed on her as weight loss in a young rabbit is typically due to an underlying condition like intestinal parasites, intestinal protozoan, dental problems, digestive disorders, etc. Your vet is likely going to want to perform diagnostics like a stool analysis and bloodwork to determine the cause of her weight loss in spite of her continuing to eat and drink normally.

Do you need help finding a veterinarian in your area that sees rabbits?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse