Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

We discovered our pet hedgehog curled tight in a ball with…

Customer Question
We discovered our pet...

We discovered our pet hedgehog curled tight in a ball with very little movement. He was awake and moving 24-36 hours ago. We currently have him wrapped in a towel and a heating pad set on low. He attempts to open up but with very little success. Can not see hie face or nose

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the hedgehog?

He is curled into a ball and does not uncurl. There is some slight opening but we can not see his face or nose.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the hedgehog seem to hurt?

He does not seem to hurt

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the hedgehog's name and age?

Sonic and to the best of my knowledge he is over 3 years but not sure about exact age

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the hedgehog's name?

Sonic

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pet
12/28/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years.. I would like to assist you.

Sonic is attempting to Hibernate as you have assumed. Using the method of a heating pad it should hake about 30-40 mins to warm him up and start coming out of it. You want the room warmed from 72-80. Once you can get your fingers in you can feel how cold she is on her abdomen where the fur is. Another method to warm her is yo wrap in a towel and hold close to your body. This would take 40-45 mins to warm up. As Sonic comes out of hibernation you can take a little corn syrup and dilute with water and run on the gums to boost the glucose levels. If Sonic does not respond within these time frames an Exotic Vet visit is recommended.

The older the Hedgehog has less tolerance to cooler temps. You will need to keep the room regulated so this does not happen again.

Please hit reply to discuss this information and concerns.

Joan

How is your Hedgehog doing? Is up and moving? Please le me know.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan