Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My Chinchilla. My chinchilla hasn't eaten in 2 days. Chia…

Customer Question
My Chinchilla Veterinarian's Assistant:...

My Chinchilla

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your chinchilla?

My chinchilla hasn't eaten in 2 days

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if your chinchilla will be able to digest that. What is the chinchilla's name?

Chia

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pet
12/28/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 3 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have interest im small exotics.

Is Chia passing stool and urine?

What is the normal diet?

Does she get grass hays?

Is she taking fluids?

Joan

It seems like you are not on, so I am going to give you some First aid information.

It is extremely important to get some food and fluids going into Chia. Dehydration and Gi stasis are both killers and can come from not eating and drinking. We need to get some Pedalyte mixed with water going in for fluids. You can give via syringe to the side of the mouth, by forming a pocket and gently squeezing the fluids in. For the food you can grind up the Pellets you have and mix with the pedilayte and water slurry and again gently make the pocket and start getting some of the slurry going in. Generally when a Chinchilla goes off food, it is the result of a Dental issues. Tooth spurs can cause pain when eating.

I have to suggest a Vet visit as soon as possible for Chia to be checked out.

I am going off line until late morning and will check in with you at that time. You can leave any questions or concerns and I will respond as soon as I am back online.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan
Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician