Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I have a large rabbit about 7 or 8 years old, unknown breed…

Customer Question
I have a large...

I have a large rabbit about 7 or 8 years old, unknown breed although we think she might be a checkered giant. Last week she starated breathing heavier than normal and occasionally getting the shakes. This morning I woke up to find her sitting over her water dish breathing out of her mouth instead of her nose. She's very unsteady, didn't want food or treats, only wanted to get on the floor and run around. She'll get to one spot in the house, then sit and try to catch her breath for about 15 or 20 minutes. It doesn't seem like she knows she's dying and is trying to find a spot to die, as she is attempting to do normal things like rear up and check out my clothes in my closet. Our family recently lost another pet bunny to old age, andon't that's what my mom thinks this is, but I don't know.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the rabbit?

Her Stool is normally big round pellets, but lately have been much smaller. I think she's lost some weight, my brother commented on how he could feel her ribs and joints yesterdau

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pet
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/26/2017
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 7 months ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits. I'm sorry to hear your bunny is having a problem. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.Has your rabbit been eating normally?Is there any discharge from her eyes or nose?Has there been any sneezing or coughing?Would you be able to arrange a vet visit if necessary?Is there a possibility the bunny is older than 8 years?Thank you.
Thank you for your response, but she passed away shortly after I tried contacting you. I learned from her former owner that she was actually 10 years old instead of 7, so I'm pretty sure it was her time to go. Thank you tho.
ten years old is considered a senior. I'm so sorry for your loss of your bunny.