Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

We just got 2 parakeet, 1 is a baby we brought from Petsmart…

Customer Question
We just got 2...

We just got 2 parakeet, 1 is a baby we brought from Petsmart other one was given from someone..

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the parakeet?

The older parakeet is a female always bit on this baby and this baby parakeet just tried to stay away, but the baby look very sleepy all the time is that normal? Or stress?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the parakeet. What is the parakeet's name and age?

The older called blue and the baby call green

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the parakeet?

No, I just not sure if they are getting depress or ill

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Pet
12/26/2017
Pet Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, the baby can be stressed and ill. It's important to note that once a parakeet acts ill it's already quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. Green's symptom of somnolence (sleepiness) is an important symptoms but it's not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. It's a sign of “sick bird syndrome” - part of an array of highly nonspecific clinical signs. An avian-oriented vet might first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food.

Until Green can be attended to, please heat up his/her environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. If he appears weakened remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in his water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.

Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has his diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?