Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My seven-year-old goldfish is very sick. He is all swollen,

Customer Question
and sitting lethargically on the...
My seven-year-old goldfish is very sick. He is all swollen, and sitting lethargically on the bottom of the tank. He has not eaten in six days. I even tried to feed him cooked peas, and he would not eat them. I have also noticed him shaking almost as if he were shivering. I have tried changing the water and putting conditioner in. Is there anything more I can do? Or is he a goner?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Pet
12/25/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 6 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Fis for over 45 years

How much water do you change?

Did you check the water parameters?

What is the Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and PH?

Joan

Please give me a few mins to type you answer.

Joan

Is his fins pineconed? Standing away from the body?

Joan

No.

Swim Bladder Disease affects a fish's swim bladder which is the organ that helps in maintaining a fish's ability to balance and swim in a normal position. When it becomes blocked up or too full of air it stops functioning properly.

This can be a result of water quality, over feeding dry foods or a Bacterial infection. Poor water quality can play a major issue contributing to the Swim Bladder problem. The first step to helping is to check your water quality. The Ammonia should be 0, Nitrites 0 and the Nitrates 20 ppm or less. You should have a test kit to check the levels.

We can try some first aid to help the fish. First do a 35% water change and be sure to add some de-chlorinator or use bottle Spring water for replacement. Next please feed a couple of frozen peas in which the shell has been removed. You will need to be sure you crush the peas for the fish. This helps the stool to pass and will sometimes help to relieve the problem. I also suggest using aquarium salt at 1 teaspoon of the salt per gallon of water. The Salt helps to draw out fluids that can cause swelling in the swim bladder disease.

If the fish is in with other fish it may be wise to set up a hospital tank which will make it easier to treat the fish.

There are some other methods of treating swim bladder which has to do with reducing the amount of water in the tank which helps to decompress the swim bladder, but I would only use that as a last resort. This link will help you locate Fish Vets if the treatment does not help: http://www.koivet.com/a_fishvets.html

Joan

Thank you but this is all info I already saw online. In fact your suggestion to feed him peas leads me to believe you did not read my question in which indicated that he would not eat them. I even used pair of chopsticks to put the peas next to his mouth. He sucked them in, and spit them right out.Have you taken a look at the photos I sent?

I did read that you use peas, but I have a protocol I use and just automatically type it. He will not eat anything until the salt starts to take down the bloat and then at that time he should start taking the peas. The peas are for constipation. We need to get the water parameters checked first. The Ammonia, Nitrites or Nitrates can be causing this. It could be Organ failure. The next step after checking the water parameters is to do the partial water change and add the Aquarium to help the bloating. The peas are after he starts wanting to eat. We can also use Daphnea to aid with constipation.

Joan

I did look at the Photo, and can see the bloating. He does need some help and I think a good start will be the Aquarium salt. If you feel that the information I have given is of no help, I can opt out and see if someone else can assist you.

I gave you the protocol I use and the information you read online was most likely something I had shared. Please let me know if you would like me to opt out.

Joan

Probably best to opt out. Thanks anyway.

I will opt out now. Have a good Holiday.

Joan