Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

It is not a cat it is a ferret and he was found just laying…

Customer Question
It is not a...

It is not a cat it is a ferret and he was found just laying in his cage not moving and poop in his behing, very lethargic can move his back legs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Again it is a ferret his name is cocomo

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Again?

5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Again?

No he was fine yesterday...

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Pet
12/25/2017
Pet Specialist: Dr G, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr G
Dr G, Veterinarian
Hi I’m Dr G and I would like to help you out with your ferret. I work with ferrets a dm other exotics a lot.
Is your ferret the only one you have? Does he have diarrhea? Any vomiting?
The first thing you need to do is get his blood sugar up, in case it’s low.
I would try rubbing Karo syrup or pancake syrup on his gums. If you can get this to rouse him, then try getting him to eat some of his food, some chicken baby food or some canned cat food.
There are lots of things ferrets can get and most of them start with lethargy and weakness.
They get GI infections, like Helicobacter. They commonly get insulinoma, a tumor on the pancreas that causes low blood sugar. They can get Adrenal Disease (not sound like your guy). Sadly, they are also prone to lymphoma and other cancers as well.
And some other less common diseases too.
initially it is most important to get some sugar into him and if he will swallow, some fluids...Pedialyte, canned food thinned with water, baby food with water. This should be syringe fed.
He really needs to see the vet though to figure out which of these problems is what is going on with him, especially at the age of 5.
Any other signs he is having?
Ok I finally got a vet appt...no diarrhea..no vomiting...just limp like a noodle except front legs forward are ok..won't take any water ... clamps his mouth...he is very cold now.... couldnt find a vet on Christmas yesterday....Karo didn't help...I really think he is dying....
He is having respiratory wheezes an curgling...I don't think he will make it to the vet...he is now very cold and non responsive...I am keeping him warm and comfortable.....
Oh, I’m so sorry to hear your little ferret is doing poorly. If he is not going to make it, I hope his passing is peaceful. Your vet may be able to help him along peacefully if he is not doing well.
I’m sorry.
Dr G
Dr G
Dr G, Veterinarian