Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My male 4 year-old rabbit, Eddie, has lost weight

Customer Question
Hello my male 4...

Hello my male 4 year-old rabbit, Eddie, has lost weight dramatically over the past week. He was eating and drinking normally as of last night (fresh broccoli, meadow hay and cabbage), his spine and ribs can be felt through his fur. I brought him to our vet yesterday, she thinks there may be a mass in his gut but not sure. His weight on the scales is the same as it was in early November. He is just about mobile, and not displaying any sign of distress other than short, heavy breathing. The vey prescribed critical care and an antibiotic, have you seen cases like this where the rabbit recovers or should I expect the worst? Thanks, John.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Eddie?

Eddie has had a history of eye infections, all of which have cleared up, he was wormed in November (panacur) and has always been active and sociable until now.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pet
12/22/2017
Pet Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Eddie. Regretfully, profound weight loss leaving my patient cachexic (wasted) is most often assocated with a life-threatening disorder such as an abdominal malignancy thought to be present by Eddie's vet. I'm particularly concerned about his short, heavy breathing which indicates significant respiratory compromise which could represent metastases from an abdominal mass into the lungfields but also pneumonia in rabbits. I would have X-rayed Eddie's chest to better understand his condition. To answer you directly, Eddie's prognosis would be considered poor to grave. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.