Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My chinchilla ate part of a grocery plastic bag and I'm

Customer Question
My chinchilla ate part...

My chinchilla ate part of a grocery plastic bag and I'm concerned.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your chinchilla will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your chinchilla?

No he's eating hay

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pet
12/21/2017
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 8 months ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping small pets. I'm sorry to hear if this accident. I'm working on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.
Thank you for waiting. You have taken the best first aid measure by giving your chinchilla some hay. The fiber can keep things moving, and make it more likely the bag can be passed. What will happen next depends on a couple of factors. How much of the bag he ate is one. The other is if he chewed it or not. A small piece that was chewed up is very likely to pass uneventfully. A large piece, or a long thin piece is more prone to trouble.What you need to do now is just monitor him. If he continues to eat and behave normally, keep an eye on his stool for pieces of the bag. If you don't see any in the next day or so, or if he develops symptoms, you'll need to see your vet for help. Things to watch for include appetite loss, straining to pass stool, swelling of the abdomen, passing blood, lethargy, or sounds that indicate pain.If you have more concerns, just let me know. I'm happy to help. I hope the piece of plastic bag will pass uneventfully.Anna