Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

I was standing next to my heater just watching TV, when all…

Customer Question
Hi. So, I was...

Hi. So, I was standing next to my heater just watching TV, when all of a sudden, my dwarf lionhead bunny, Jack, startled me. I tried to get out of the wat, and accidentally ended up stepping on his head. Afterwards, I held him for about 10 minutes and tried to give him something to eat. So far, he has denied the food. I am panicking and am not sure what to do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How old is Jack?

We got him from a friend and have had him for over 3 years, so 4 years at most.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?

No, this is just the main problem that I am worried about.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Pet
12/21/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 2 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years.

Is there any head tilt?

Doe she seem stunned?

Is she able to move normally?

How long has it been since this happened?

Joan

No head tilt. A little stunned. Moving normally. Never happened before.
No thanks.

The Phone call is an automated request do not worry about that,

My concern is we have to keep food and water going in to prevent GI stasis.

I would try offering a little treat to see if the Rabbit will take it. Stress and difficult situations can lead to GI Stasis.

To make sure she will be ok tonight we can force feed if she refuses food and water. You can take her pellets and grind into a powder and mix into some Pedilayte and water diluted 50/50. This is a slurry and will act as food going in. You can also give the Pedialyte water mixture to keep the Rabbit Hydrated.

I do suggest a Vet visit tomorrow. This is important to rule out any issues from the accident.

The big thing is to keep food and fluids going in to keep the gut going until the Rabbit can be seen.

Joan

Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 1 month ago

How is your Rabbit doing? I wanted to check in with you.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician