Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My hamster is bloated, lethargic, and has labored breathing.

Customer Question
My hamster is bloated...

My hamster is bloated, lethargic, and has labored breathing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your hamster. What is the hamster's name and age?

Tinker bell and she is 1 yr

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the hamster's name?

Tinkerbell

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tinkerbell?

No she has been healthy

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pet
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/19/2017
Pet Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share video of what you're seeing?

It's not letting me add a video

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

https://youtube/RIwMkS8tyiE

The link does not work on my end. See if youtube gives a hyperlink address to paste.

https://youtu.be/RIwMkS8tyiE

Thank you for the video. Unfortunately, it looks like she's in critical condition and nothing you do at home is likely to change that. I cannot tell you why she is bloated but we can see bloating from a wide range of conditions from organ failure (such as the kidneys) to cancer to foreign body ingestion. The best approach is going to be having her examined at your local ER to determine if treatment options exist or if the kindest thing to do is permit a humane passing through euthanasia. Do you need help finding a local ER in your area? If so, I'll need your city and state.

No I know where one is thank you

You're welcome. I am sorry there's not more that you can do from home. Unfortunately once they reach a point of being critical medical intervention is the best hope. Good luck to you both.

Pet Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy