Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My female holland lop that is 3 yrs old for some reason will…

Customer Question
My female holland lop...

My female holland lop that is 3 yrs old for some reason will not eat tonight. She even turned her back to wetted down lettuce i put into her cage which is very abnormal, she looks like she doesn't feel well.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Holland lop rabbit

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the rabbit's name?

Zoey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zoey?

I did pick her up and noticed she had a little build up of feces and fur around her rectum area and I got a wash cloth wet with warm water and cleaned her up and dried the area off but she wasn't blocked or anything. I also noticed she had yellow dark crust around her vagina area and it look like a piece of very hard yellow crust was in her vagina area. I tried to clean that as well but I could not get the crust off. She was spayed at 3 months old.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Pet
12/15/2017
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 2 months ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits. I'm sorry to hear that Zoey is not well. When a rabbit stops eating. It is a medical emergency. The digestive system can shut down, and that is very dangerous. I'll be right back with some supportive measures you can try, but in the meantime, it would be best to try to get a vet appointment tonight. I'll be back in a few minutes.

Thank you for waiting.

One of the most common things we hear about rabbits is "My rabbit stopped eating, and then he died." As I said above, appetite loss is very serious in rabbits. It is considered a medical emergency. It is even more serious if the rabbit isn't defecating. A condition called gastrointestinal stasis develops. The digestive system simply shuts down. The original cause can be anything from eating something they shouldn't to a slight illness. Regardless of the initial cause GI stasis is an emergency in its own right. There could be gas in the stomach that cannot pass or there could be a blockage in the intestines. You need to get Zoey to a vet as soon as possible. You can read more about the condition here:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

If there’s no blockage, the vet can often prescribe a gut motility drug that will solve the problem. If there's a blockage, surgery may be needed.

I know you would like a home cure, but unfortunately, this is a situation where there isn't one. Until you can get to a vet, you can give Zoey a stomach massage. Most rabbits actually enjoy this and it can get things moving again sometimes. Place her on her back on your lap and gently massage. If you can get some children's liquid simethicone (sold in pharmacies), give her some from a syringe. You can't overdose it, and it helps break up any gas bubbles in the stomach.

If you have more questions about this, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I hope Zoey will reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

This was no help
I'm sorry you feel that way. I gave you truthful information. I can't give you a cure that doesn't exist. I believe you deserve honesty. Since you're unhappy, I'll opt out of your question, which will open it to other experts.
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist